Sukhadi is a traditional Gujarati sweet. It is also known as golpapdi. It is made from very simple and basic ingredients such as whole wheat flour, ghee and jaggery. It is very easy and quick to prepare and is most commonly prepared during winters. It can be prepared and stored in the containers and can be consumed at any time of the day. Eat one or two pieces and you will be energized. It has a long shelf life.
The basic sukhadi is made of the above-mentioned three ingredients but you can enhance its flavor by adding sesame seeds, dry nuts or dry coconut. Also, some spices can be added during winters such as dry ginger powder, edible gum, nutmeg or cardamom powder. They will give warmth to the body.
I usually make sukhadi by adding different flours to it since makes it more healthy. I have used whole wheat flour, ragi (also known as nachini flour a.k.a red millet flour), gram flour (besan) and rice flour. You can also add soya bean flour and jowar (sorghum flour ) in place of the above flours. I have also added the mixed dry nuts powder (almonds, walnuts, cashwenuts, pistachio) to the sukhadi. The colour of the sukhadi is dark due to the ragi flour.
This multigrain sukhadi is very healthy for the growing kids and the pregnant women. You can pack it with you while travelling. It is the energy bar for kids who are active. It is a good option for a small break in the lunch box.
This Sukhadi can be made for any occassion and festival. Just enjoy the goodness of the multigrain sukhadi.
Make healthy, eat healthy and stay healthy!
- 0.5 cup whole wheat flour
- 0.5 cup ragi flour (Nachni or red millet flour)
- 1/4 cup chick pea flour (besan or gram flour)
- 1/4 cup rice flour
- 6 tbsp ghee
- 3/4 cup jaggery grated
- 1/2 cup mixed dry nuts crushed (almond, walnuts, pistachio, cashewnuts)
- 2 tsp cardamon powder
- Heat ghee in a broad thick pan.
- It should be melted as shown.
- Add the mixed flour mixture to it.
- Mix it well and cook the flour mixture for 10-12 minutes on slow heat.
- The mixture will get dark and will release nice aroma of the roasted flour. Now add the crushed dry nuts mixture.
- Mix well and roast for a 2 more minutes. The mixture will become light and the ghee will be released.
- Now add cardamom powder to it and mix well for a minute.
- Remove from the heat and set aside for minute to cool. Then add the grated jaggery to it. Mix well.
- Spread the mixture in the greased plate and smooth the surface with a spatula of the back of a flat bowl. Cut into diamond pieces when warm.
- Remove the pieces and serve. Or store in an airtight container.