A north Indian style subzi made with paneer and tomatoes. In this recipe, the tomatoes are cut into half and the flesh is scooped. It is then stuffed with grated paneer mixture. The stuffed tomatoes are roasted on tava or pan or tandoor till they turn soft. They are then served with the tomato based spicy gravy. This dish is thus different from the regular Punjabi curries or gravies. The stuffed roasted tomatoes can also be served as appetizers or snacks in the party.
Stuffed Tomatoes Tava Sabji
- Cut the tomatoes into half and scoop the seeds and flesh from it.
- For the stuffing Mix cottage cheese (paneer), potatoes, coriander, garam masala, red chili powder and salt.
- Fill the scooped tomatoes with the prepared stuffing.
- Put it in the microwave safe bowl , sprinkle oil over it and cook at 450 power watt for 3 minutes. Alternately you can also shallow fry in a pan covered with lid on low flame. Keep them aside. You can also serve them as an appetizer or starter. Garnish them with the grated paneer.
- Blanch tomatoes, remove its skin and grind them to smooth paste.
- Boil onions and grind them to a smooth paste.
- Heat oil in a pan. Add onion paste. Saute for few minutes and then add the ginger and garlic paste. Saute them for few more minutes.
- Add the tomato paste and cashew powder and then mix them well and cook for 5- 7 minutes.
- Add all the spices ( red chili powder, garam masala, coriander cumin powder and salt to taste). Mix them. Add one cup for fine consistency. Cook for 2 minutes. The gravy is ready.
- Take a microwave safe dish. Put roasted stuffed tomatoes in it. Pour the prepared gravy over it. Microwave it at 450 power watt for 2 minutes. Garnish with grated paneer and coriander leaves and serve. If using pan, then just warm the roasted stuffed tomatoes in it and then in the serving dish place the warmed tomatoes and pour gravy over it and garnish with grated paneer and coriander and serve.
- Serve it with paratha, papad and sliced onions.