Tuvar Dana Bhaat / Pigeon Peas Rice is a simple and delicious rice made along with fresh tuvar dana (green pigeon peas) and spices. It is enjoyed plain or can be accompanied with gujarati kadhi /yogurt/buttermilk, papadum, salad and pickle. It is very quick and easy to make and can be served for a quick weeknight meal. It is vegan.
Tuvar Dana Bhaat / Pigeon Peas Rice
- 1.5 tbsp oil
- 1 tsp mustard seeds
- 1 bay leaf
- 1 inch cinnamon stick
- 1/4 tsp asafoetida
- 1 dry red chili
- 1 onion finely chopped
- 1/2 tbsp ginger garlic paste
- 1/2 tsp turmeric powder
- 1 tsp red chili powder or as per spice level needed
- 1/2 cup fresh green tuvar dana fresh green pigeon peas. I have used the frozen fresh tuvar dana
- 1 cup basmati rice washed and soaked for half hour
- 2 cup water
- salt as per taste
- In a pressure cooker pan, heat oil, add mustard seeds and when they crackle add bay leaf, cinnamon stick, dry red chili and asafoetida.
- Add chopped onion and saute.
- Saute the onions till translucent and then add ginger garlic paste. Saute for few seconds.
- Add turmeric powder and red chili powder and saute for few more seconds.
- Add the fresh tuvar dana (fresh pigeon peas) and mix well.
- Add the soaked and drain rice and saute for a minute.
- Add water and salt and mix well. Cover the lid and pressure cook the rice for 4 high whistles and 2 low whistle.
- Let the pressure cooker cool by itself and then open the lid. The tuvar dana bhaar / pigeon peas rice is ready.
- Serve the rice plain or with yogurt/buttermilk/gujarati kadhi and papad, pickle and salad.