Aloo Moongwadi Ki Subji / Potato Moongdumpling Curry is a curry made with potato and sun dried dumplings. The dumplings are made with moongdal and spices. It is a very good option when the fresh vegetables are not available. It is served hot with rice, roti, bhakri or parathas. It is vegan.
Moong wadi is made by soaking moong dal and then grinding it into paste with spices. The paste is then with a help of spoon dropped on the plastic sheet. It is then allowed to sun dried for 2-3 days or till it is completely dried. The moong dal wadi/moong dal dumpling is then stored into an airtight container and can be stored for a several months. It is very good source of protein.
In olden days when in places like Rajasthan which has dessert and less of vegetation, people use to make these wadis and store for many years. They even dried some of the vegetables like guvar, sangri and used them when needed.
Aloo Moongwadi Ki Subji / Potato Moongdumpling Curry
- 3 tbsp oil 1 tbsp for roasting moongwadi and 2 tbsp for making curry
- 1 cup moongwadi sundried moong dumplings
- 2 tomato
- 1 green chili
- 1 inch ginger
- 1 tbsp desiccated coconut
- 1 onion ground into paste
- 1 tsp cumin seed jeera
- 1 tsp coriander cumin powder dhania jeera powder
- 1/4 tsp turmeric powder haldi
- 1/2 tsp red chili powder
- 1/4 tsp garam masala
- 2 potato washed, peeled and cut into cubes
- 2 cup water
- salt as per taste
- 2 tbsp coriander leaves washed and chopped finely
- Heat 1 tbsp oil in a pan. Roast moong wadi /sun dried moong dumplings on medium heat.
- Roast till golden.
- In a pressure cooker pan, heat 2 tbsp oil. Add cumin seeds and when they crackle add asafoetida.
- Add onion paste. Saute till it is translucent.
- Add tomato paste (grind tomato, green chili, ginger,desiccated coconut to a smooth paste). Saute for a minute.
- Add turmeric, red chili powder, and coriander cumin powder. Mix well and saute for 2-3 minutes.
- Add the chopped potatoes. Mix well.
- Add the roasted moongwadi and mix well.
- Add water and garam masala.
- Add salt and mix well.
- Cover the pressure cooker lid and cook for 4 whistles on high heat and 1 on low heat.
- Let the cooker cool down by itself. Open the lid and mix the curry well.
- Add chopped coriander leaves and mix well. The aloo moongwadi subji is ready to serve.
- Serve the aloo moongwadi subji/potato moongdumpling curry hot with rice, roti, bhakri or parathas.
1 thought on “Aloo Moongwadi Ki Subji / Potato Moongdumpling Curry”
A very good recipe. Very useful when we do not have vegetables at home.