Basic makhani gravy is a a silky, buttery, creamy tomato based gravy and is commonly used in many veg and non veg recipes such as Paneer Makhani, Chicken Makhani, Vegetable in makhani gravy, mushroom in makhani gravy, Makhani Kofta, Makhani pizza. It can be prepared in huge quantities and freezed for further use in small airtight containers or ziplock pouches.
Use this gravy on the same day to make recipes of your choice. If your wish freeze the gravy, avoid adding cream as this may get spoilt on storing. Cool the gravy completely, pour it in a food grade zip lock bag or airtight containers and store under refrigerated conditions. Thaw the gravy prior to using. Towards the end add cream, mix well and simmer for 5 minutes.
Make this gravy and store it. It is too handy and preparing a quick restaurant style subji at home becomes easier.
Basic Makhani Gravy
- 6 tomatoes ripe , washed and chopped
- 1 onion washed and chopped
- 2 cloves garlic chopped
- 1 inch ginger chopped
- 2 green chili
- 20 cashew nut
- 2 cloves
- 2 tbsp oil
- 1 tbsp butter
- 1/2 tsp cumin seeds jeera
- 1 tbsp ginger garlic paste
- 2 tsp red chili powder
- 1 tsp turmeric powder
- 2 tsp coriander cumin powder
- 1 tsp garam masala
- 2 tsp kasuri methi powder
- 2 tbsp cream Avoid if freezing the gravy and then when in use add cream
- 1 tsp sugar
- 1 tbsp tomato ketchup
- In a bowl add chopped onions, ginger, garlic, green chilies and cashew nuts. Keep it ready to be kept in the pressure cooker to cook.
- In a pressure cooker pan, place the bowl with onion mixture and add chopped tomatoes and cloves around it as shown. Add 1/2 cup water and close the pressure cooker lid and pressure cook for 3-4 whistles on high heat and 2 whistles on low heat. Let the pressure cooker cool by itself. Remove the tomatoes and cloves and let them cool and then grind into a smooth paste. Strain the paste to remove the seeds and skin of tomatoes. Similarly make the onion mixture smooth paste in the mixer grinder. (make sure both onion and tomato paste are smooth)
- In a big flat pan, heat oil and butter. When the butter melts and the oil and butter is heated add cumin seeds. When they crackle add ginger garlic paste. Saute the paste on medium heat for a minute.
- Add the prepared onion mixture paste. Saute the paste for 3-4 minutes on medium heat.
- Add the prepared and strained tomato paste.
- Mix well and cook till the water starts to dry and the paste starts to thicken. It will take around 8-9 minutes.
- Now add turmeric powder, coriander cumin seed powder, red chili powder and garam masala. Mix well.
- Add tomato ketchup, salt and sugar and mix well and saute for a minute.
- Add 1/2 cup of water and mix well. Cook the mixture for a minute.
- Add the kasuri methi crushed between your palms or powder it in a mixture grinder.
- Mix well.
- Cook for couple more minutes. If you want to freeze the gravy then stop at this stage and let the gravy get cool and then store it in airtight containers or zip lock bag and freeze it. Thaw the gravy first before using.
- Now add the cream to the gravy.
- Mix well.
- Simmer the gravy till the oil floats on the top. The Makhani gravy is ready.
- The basic makhani gravy can be used to prepare paneer makhani, veg makhani, chicken makhani, mushroom makhani, kofta in makhani gravy or simply spread on pizza base and top with paneer to make paneer makhani pizza.
9 thoughts on “Basic Makhani Gravy”
Very easy method of preparing gravy.
Very nice and easy recipe
Thank you so much.
Very nice and easy recipe. Nice idea to store the gravy for further use
Thank you so much.
Skipped the mirchi completely – and it was totally delicious. Thanks for sharing such a nice recipe!
Thank you so much!!
Can we store it? And if yes, then what is its expiration period?
Thank you so much for going through the recipe. Yes you can definitely store and freeze the gravy for about a month and half. Do not add any cream if you are freezing the gravy. Completely cool the gravy and then pack it in airtight container or zip lock bag and store. Thaw the gravy completely before using it. Happy cooking !!