Aloo (Potato )Puff is a very popular Indian snack made by filling spicy potato mixture in the puff pastry and then baked till crisp and golden. The puff sheet after baking are flaky and crisp. It can be enjoyed with green coriander chutney and ketchup and is a great food to carry for picnic, potluck or outdoor entertainment. It can be enjoyed as a yummy tea time snack and can be packed for kids lunch boxes.
I had made the aloo puff with coriander chutney for my son’s (Aarav) cricket bbq party in the park and everyone enjoyed to the fullest.
Different variety of filling can be filled to make different variation of puff.
Spicy Paneer filling
Schezwan style vegetables
Spinach and corn
Spinach and feta
Spinach, potato and ricotta
and similarly different style of egg and non veg stuffings can be made too. This was many different variations can be experimented.
Friends do try this yummy snack and please do share your valuable feedback with me.
Khao dilse, khilao dilse aur banao dilse…
Aloo (Potato )Puff
- heavy bottom pan
- cutting board
- Baking tray
- baking paper
- 8 small potato boiled, peeled and mashed
- 2 tbsp oil
- 1/2 tsp cumin seeds jeera
- 10 curry leaves
- 1/4 tsp asafoetida hing
- 1 tbsp ginger garlic chili paste I crushed 2-3 garlic clove, 1 green chili, 1/2 inch ginger in the mortar pestle)
- 1/2 tsp turmeric powder haldi
- 2 tsp coriander cumin powder dhania jeera powder
- 1/2 tsp dry mango powder amchur
- 1/2 cup peas boiled, I had used frozen peas. If using frozen peas then do not boil them .
- 1/2 tsp lemon juice
- 1/2 tsp garam masala
- 1/4 cup coriander washed and finely chopped
- 4 puff pastry Thaw the pastry sheets if using frozen. I had used the store brought puff pastry. They were square in shape. I could make 9 puff from each pastry sheet.
- salt to taste
- Heat oil on medium heat on a pan. Add cumin seeds and let they crackle. Add asafoetida and curry leaves. Add ginger garlic chili paste and saute till the raw aroma goes away on medium heat. Add peas and mix well.
- Add spices – turmeric powder, coriander cumin powder, dry mango powder , garam masala. Saute for half minute.
- Add the boiled and mashed potatoes. Add salt.
- Mix well. Add lemon juice and chopped coriander.
- Mix well. Lower heat and cover and simmer for 3-4 minutes so that the flavors are absorbed well.
- Remove the stuffing in a plate. Spread evenly and let it cool.
- Take puff pastry. I had made small puffs and hence cut the pastry into 9 parts as shown. You can cut into four and make big puff. Place around 1-2 tbsp of prepared stuffing into each part.
- Now take one part and apply water all around the edges. Bring the diagonal edges together and press all around to make a triangle as shown. With the help of the fork press and seal the edges well. Make all the puffs in similar way.
- Now arrange the puff on the baking tray lined with baking paper and bake in a pre heated oven @ 190 C for 20-25 minutes till golden and crisp.( I also like to lower the temperature to 150 C and keep for another 5-10 minutes. ) The aloo (potato ) puff are ready. Serve with coriander chutney and ketchup. To pack for picnic or lunch box let the cool to room temperature and then wrap them in aluminium foil and pack.