Palak Ni Bhaji Nu Shaak (Spiced Stir Fried Spinach) is a very quick and easy ,traditional, village style recipe made using a lots of green spinach. The chopped spinach is stir fried using some oil with mustard seeds, cumin seeds, ginger garlic, onions, tomatoes, and regular Indian spices. The shaak can be served with roti, bhakri, rotla, paratha or rice by itself or with dal and rice as as complete meal. The shaak is fibre rich, contains lots of iron, vitamins and minerals , gluten free, vegan and is good to consume frequently. Spinach can also be swapped with other green leafy vegetables or can be made combining them.
My son (Aarav) has recently started liking this nutritious, desi, village style subji. He loves to eat it with pithla and rice. So I am making this often mostly once a week. I combine different green leafy veggies each time with spinach such as kale leaves, amaranthus (tandaljo) leaves, raddish leaves, methi leaves. This is the good way to include greens in the regular diet.
You can also add different veggies such as eggplant, pea, carrot, or capsicum to the shaak while making to add the taste.
Different village style traditional shaak, curry, subji on the blog as below:
Please do try this recipe and share you feedback with me.
khao dilse, khilao dilse, aur banao dilse…
Palak Ni Bhaji Nu Shaak (Spiced Stir Fried Spinach)
- heavy bottom pan with lid
- 2 tbsp oil
- 1/2 tsp mustard seeds rai
- 1/2 tsp cumin seeds jeera
- 1/2 tsp asafoetida hing
- 1 tbsp ginger garlic paste
- 1 medium onion finely chopped
- 2 medium tomato finely chopped
- 1/2 tsp turmeric powder
- 1 tsp red chili powder
- 2 tsp coriander cumin powder dhania jeera powder
- 300 g spinach washed and chopped. I had used baby spinach
- salt to taste
- Heat oil in a pan on a medium heat. Add mustard seeds, cumin seeds and let they crackle. Add asafoetida.
- Add ginger garlci paste .
- Saute till the raw aroma of ginger and garlic goes away.
- Add chopped onion. Add some salt to soften the onion and cover and cook till they are translucent and soften.
- Add chopped tomatoes. Mix well. Cover and cook till the tomatoes are soften. (tomatoes helps to absorb the iron of the greens)
- Add spices – turmeric powder, red chili powder, coriander cumin powder.
- Mix well and saute till the spices are fragrant.
- Add chopped spinach ( I had used spinach. You can use combination of different greens such as fenugreek leaves, tandaljo bhaji(amaranthus leaves ), bhathua, kale, radish leaves ). Add salt. Be careful as greens have salt in them so I prefer always adding less salt to the greens while cooking.
- Mix well and cook well on medium heat till the spinach softens. Do not cover the pot with lid while cooking greens.
- Cook further for couple of minutes. The bhaji nu shaak is ready to serve.
- Remove the palak ni bhaji nu shaak (Spiced stir fried spinach) in the serving bowl and serve with roti or rotla, paratha or rice , dal , salad for a complete meal.
- I had served the bhaji nu shaak with jowar rotla, dal, salad, fansi nu shaak as a complete lunch followed by rice.
- I had served bhaji nu shaak with homemade yogurt / dahi, salad, chutney and cumin ajwain paratha for dinner.