Health awareness everywhere; Counting the calories you consume; Every time you want to eat something tasty and oily you have to think and rethink. But now do not worry. I have tried to make the lesser calorie version of fried masala puris which we use to relish in our childhood. So enjoy this baked version of the fried puris guilt free.
I have also made it with more healthier by using whole wheat flour. They taste as good as the fried puris.
They can be stored airtight and can stay for 15 days. They will taste a little hard on the day you make them but will become more soft and crisp the next day. A very good munching snack. They can be prepared during the festivals and enjoyed guilt free. A very good option for kids lunch box. Also really handy during travels.
Baked Whole Wheat Masala Flour Puri (Spicy Whole Wheat Flour Crackers)
- 2 cup whole wheat flour
- 20 g semolina 2 tbsp (sooji)
- 20 g yoghurt 2 tbsp
- 1/2 tsp baking soda
- 4 tbsp oil
- 2 tbsp sesame seeds
- 2 tsp red chilli powder
- 2 tsp cumin powder (roasted)
- 1 tsp turmeric powder
- 1/4 tsp asafoetida
- salt as per taste
- water to knead the dough
- In a bowl take the whole wheat flour, semolina, yoghurt, baking soda, oil, sesame seeds, red chilli powder, cumin seeds powder, turmeric powder, asafoetida and salt. Mix them well till you get texture like crumbs.
- Now add very little water at a time and knead a tight dough.
- Take a big ball from it and roll it into a big thin chapati.
- Now with a cookie cutter cut it into different shapes or just cut it into squares. Prick them with the fork .
- Place them in a baking tray lined with a baking sheet.
- Bake them in a preheated oven at 180 deg celcius or 350 fahrenheit for about 25 min flipping them in between. The time of baking varies from oven to oven.
- Remove them and cool them and serve.
- Try to knead a tight dough. Add water little by little at a time.
- You can also use cream instead of yoghurt.
- The baking time varies from oven to oven. Hence check on it when the puris are baked.