Bean and Spinach Rice is a very healthy and delicious rice made with spinach and kidney beans and flavored with Baharat powder to give it a Lebanese flavor. It is rich in protein, folic acid and iron . It is gluten-free and vegan!!
Since this is mild rice, serve it with a hot curry. I have served with vegetables in red hot sauce. I will share the recipe of it soon.
Bean and Spinach Rice
- 1.5 cup basmati rice or long grained rice
- 3/4 cup kidney beans rajma, soaked, boiled and cooked.
- 1 tbsp oil
- 1 snall onion washed and finely chopped
- 2 tsp garlic chopped or grated
- 1 green chili finely chopped
- 1 cup spinach washed and finely chopped
- 1/2 tsp cumin seed powder roasted, jeera powder
- 1/2 tsp baharat powder
- 1 tsp paprika powder
- 1/4 cup parsley washed and chopped
- salt as per taste
- In a big pan, heat oil and add chopped garlic and green chili. Saute for a minute.
- Add chopped onion and saute till translucent.
- Add the washed and chopped spinach and cook till spinach shrinks and is cooked.
- Add cooked kidney beans (rajma), baharat powder, roasted cumin powder and paprika powder.
- Mix well and saute till spices are fragrant.
- Add the cooked rice and salt and mix well.
- Add the chopped parsley. Keep aside some for garnishing and mix well. The bean and spinach rice is ready to serve.
- Grease a bowl and put the prepared rice in it. Press it and then unmould in the serving plate. Sprinkle chopped parsley on top and serve.