Dal Pakwan is a very popular Sindhi breakfast. It is cooked with split bengal gram (dal) served with pakwan (crisp fried Indian bread). Sindhi cuisine is mostly popular for its taste and flavor. It has many spicy and sweet dishes. Sometimes the method of cooking is also different. Breakfast is the most important meal for them. They follow the principal of heavy breakfast , lighter lunch and very light dinner. Many restaurants will serve this dish for breakfast. Even sweet shops will have dal pakwan sold as a special dish on sundays.
The dish is delightful and can be had not only in breakfast but also in lunch, brunch or dinner.
I had prepared this dish in dinner. I had this dish couple of times in the restaurants. One of my Sindhi friend had also treated me with this dish. I really enjoyed the authentic taste at her place. The dish is so simple. It is little spicy and is served with sweet chutney , green chutney and topped with chopped onions and sev.
I have shown this recipe in three steps :’
Assembling dal pakwan.
Traditionally pakwan is made from refined flour with little carom seeds. I have used here whole wheat flour and added other spices. These pakwans can be made ahead and kept in airtight containers. It can also be served with tea or coffee.
So dear friends make this recipe and treat your family, friends and dear ones on any occassion.
- Soak the split bengal or chana dal in water for 2-3 hours.
- Pressure cook dal for 3 whistle. The dal should not be overcooked and mushy. The grains should remain seperate.
- Now add the spices (red chili powder, turmeric powder, garam masala, dried mango powder, salt).Mix them. Add a little water if the dal looks dry and let it simmer.
- Now prepare the tempering. Heat oil in a pan. When it is heated add the cumin seeds and let them crackle. Add the asafoetida, curry leaves, green chilies and a tsp of red chili powder.
- Pour this tempering on the simmering dal. Just cover and cook for two minutes so that the flavor of all the ingredients is nicely infused. The dal is ready.
- Remove in a bowl.
- Take whole wheat flour and semolina in a bowl. Add oil, turmeric powder, red chili powder, roasted cumin seeds powder, carrom seeds and salt. Mix well.
- With the help of water, knead a tight dough and cover and keep it aside for 15 min to rest.
- Now take a lemon size ball and roll it into a nice 6-7 cms circles. Prick them with a fork. Fry them in hot oil till they are nice golden and crisp. Drain on an absorbent paper and store them in the air tight containers.
- Pakwan are ready to serve.
Assembling Dal Pakwan
- Keep all the ingredient ready on the serving table.
- Take the serving plate. Place a pakwan on it.
- Pour a big laddle of dal on it. Pour a tbsp each of coriander chutney and date chutney. The amount of chutney can be adjusted as per the individual choice. Many people even use the tamarind chutney.
- Sprinke chopped onions over it.
- Garnish it with some sev, chopped coriander and some rock salt and red chilli powder.
- The Dal pakwan is ready to serve.