Dhoklis (flour dumplings ) is a very popular dish in Gujarati Cuisine. It can be made with lentils and is known as dal dhokli. It can also be made with some vegetables such as french beans, Lima beans, Guar, fresh pigeon peas. It is then served with roti or rice. Some people prefer to eat it as a whole meal dish.
I will share the recipe of Fansi Dhokli nu Shaak with you. It is made from French beans tempered with carom seeds. Fresh ginger, garlic and chilli paste is then added to it. Then add the regular spices and let the beans cook in the boiling water. Once the water is boiling add the prepared dhoklis one by one. Then let it cook for 8-10 min or till the dhoklis and beans are cooked. So it is a kind of Indian pasta. I have prepared this in a pressure cooker. It helps in cooking it faster.
There are two steps:
- Preparing Dhokli
- Preparing the curry
While preparing dhoklis, they need to be pressed by hand. This can become a nice group activity in the house. Even your young one can help in pressing them. Generally when there is a get-together for dinner or lunch, the ladies of the house will all sit together and help in pressing the dhoklis and will also chit chat along with a cup of tea. It is a fun activity. Many Gujarati restaurants serve this dish in their menu for lunch or dinner.
I call this dhokli – Indian pasta, and give my son to eat. He relishes it happily.
Fansi Dhokli Nu Shaak (Flat Flour Dumplings In French Beans Gravy)
Fansi shaak (french beans curry)
- 1.5 cups french beans chopped
- 3 tbsp oil
- 1 tsp carom seeds
- 1 tsp ginger paste
- 1 tsp garlic paste
- 1 tsp green chili paste
- 1/4 tsp asafoetida
- 1/2 tsp turmeric powder
- 1 tsp coriander powder
- 1 tsp cumin powder
- 1 tsp red chili powder
- 1 tbsp lemon juice
- salt as per taste
- 1.5 cup water (it can be adjusted more or less as per the thickness of the gravy required)
- 2 tbsp coriander chopped
- 10 gms Dried Coconut shredded or dessicated coconut for garnishing (optional)
- 1 tbsp dry garlic chutney garnishing (optional)
- In a bowl add the flours, spices, yoghurt, oil and carom seeds
- Mix them well till the crumb like texture is achieved and then add gradually water.
- Knead into a soft dough and rest for 5-10 minutes.
- Now make very small balls out of it.
- Press them and shape them into the coin size dholi. The dhoklis should be thin.
- The dhoklis are ready.
Preparing French Beans Curry
- Heat oil in the pressure pan cooker. Add the carom seed.
- Add the asafoetida and ginger-garlic-chili paste and saute till the raw smells goes .
- Add the chopped french beans. Saute and then add all the spices - red chili powder, turmeric powder, coriander cumin powder.
- Add the water and let it come to boil.
- Now add the dhokli to the boiling water one by one. Add lemon juice .Add the salt to taste. Cover the lid and pressure cook for three whishtles on high heat and two on low heat.
- The dhokli is ready . Remove it in a bowl and garnish with coriander, dessicated coconut and dry garlic chutney. Serve it hot with roti or rice .It can be eaten plain too.
- the dough should be kneaded soft. If it is hard the dholkis will become stiff.
- The dhoklis should be pressed thin.
- Spread oil on dhoklis to avoid sticking with each other.
- The water should be boiling while putting dhoklis in the curry to avoid breaking.