Eggless Red Velvet Cake With Cream Cheese Frosting is a super moist, light and delicious cake with a tangy , light and fluffy cream cheese frosting . It is a perfect cake for any occasion. It has a mild chocolate flavor and is red in colour.
The most common ingredients used to make the cake is flour, cocoa powder, buttermilk, vinegar, butter /oil and leavening agents. Traditionally Non Dutch processed cocoa powder was used to make the red velvet cake. The reaction of acidic vinegar and buttermilk tends to reveal the red anthocyanin in cocoa and keeps the cake moist, light, and fluffy. It gives a nice red tint and velvetty texture to the cake. Now a days we have dutch process cocoa powder which prevents the natural colour change of the anthocyanin. Hence red food colour is added to give the red colour to the cake. You can also add beetroot puree or powder to give a natural red colour to the cake.
I had prepared this rich eggless red velvet cake for my son’s 11th birthday celebration on his request. Everyone enjoyed the cake to the fullest. I had added liquid food colour. You can use gel colour. I prefer using less colour.Hence the cake has dark red-brown colour. You can add more food coloring as per the intensity of the colour needed.
Cream cheese icing goes well with the cake . But if you do not have cream cheese available you can use buttercream icing. I had made eggless red velvet cupcake with butter cream icing on my son’s 10th birthday school celebration. They tasted fabulous.
I had used red velvet oreos and red velvet truffle cream balls for decoration. If red velvet oreos are not available you can make more red velvet truffle cream cheese balls and use for decoration or you can use chocolate pieces or m and m’s for decoration. I am sharing the process of making the truffle cream cheese balls in the recipe below.
The cake disappeared and finished so quickly and I managed to take the picture of this last piece left. The cake is layered so well and looks super moist.
Friends do try this delicious cake for your family and friends and please do share your reviews with me.
Khao dilse, khilao dilse aur banao dilse….
Eggless Red Velvet Cake With Cream Cheese Frosting
- measuring cups and measuring spoons
- bowl x3
- hand whisk
- electric beater
- cake tin
- cake board
- offset spatula
- palette knife
For making red velvet cake sponge (The measurements below can me a 10 inch cake)
- 1.5 cup all purpose flour maida (This measurement is for making one 10 inch cake. I had made two 10 inch round cakes sponge to make two layer cake. So I have baked again with the same measurements. Bake again using the same measurements to make the second cake).
- 2 tbsp custard powder or corn flour
- 1 tbsp cocoa powder
- 1 tsp baking soda
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 2 tsp vinegar I have used apple cider vinegar. You can use plain vinegar too.
- 1 tsp vanilla essence
- 4 tsp red liquid colour You can add more if you need more intense red colour
- 1 cup milk lukewarm
- 3/4 cup sugar I have used raw sugar
- 1/2 cup oil any flavorless oil
Cream Cheese Frosting
- 500 g Cream Cheese I have used philadelphia cream cheese, room temperature (This quantity is sufficient to decorate the 2 x 10 inch layer cake. I had some leftover of the frosting too. Half the quantity of the ingredients for frosting if using to frost a 10 inch layer cake)
- 200 g unsalted butter room temperature
- 4 cup icing sugar sifted
- 2 tsp vanilla essence
For making red velvet cake sponge to make one 10 inch sponge.
- Add vinegar in lukewarm milk. Mix well and set aside for 5 minutes to curdle.
- Meanwhile sift 3-4 times the dry ingredients – all purpose flour, custard powder, cocoa powder, baking soda and salt.
- The dry ingredients are ready. Keep them aside.
- The curdled milk is ready.
- In a big bowl add oil and sugar.
- Mix well till the sugar is dissolved with a hand whisk.
- Add the curdled milk and mix well.
- Add red colour and vanilla essence. Mix well. The wet ingredients are ready. (You can add more red colour to get more intense red colour).
- Gradually add the sifted dry ingredients in batches to the wet ingredients.
- Gently mix all the dry ingredients and mix till the entire mixture is lump free.
- Pour the batter in the greased and dusted 10 inch circle pan. Tap the pan 2-4 times and then put it the oven to bake in the preheated oven at 180 C for 40 -45 minutes or till done. Insert a toothpick if it cleans out clean then the cupcake are ready or bake till done. Repeat the above procedure again to make the second base. (Or you can double the quantity of batter divide into two pans and bake).
- Remove the pan from the oven. Let it cool for 5 minutes. Run a knife on the edges and unmould the cake and let it cool on a wire rack.
- Heat sugar and water in a pan. Bring it to boil.
- Boil for couple of minutes and keep it aside to cool.
Cream Cheese Frosting
- Take softened cream cheese and butter in a big bowl.
- With the help of an electric beater, beat the butter and cream cheese together till smooth on low speed.
- Scrap the edges with a spatula and bring all the mixture together. Add vanilla essence.
- Gradually add sifted icing sugar and beat the mixture on the low speed till sugar is nicely mixed. Keep on adding icing sugar into batches and beat the mixture on low speed.
- Once all the icing sugar is mixed well, beat the mixture on medium speed for couple of minutes till smooth. Do not over beat the mixture. The cream cheese frosting is ready. Cover and refrigerate for 30 minutes before using.
- After 30 minutes, transfer the cream cheese mixture to a piping bag to frost the cake. (You can directly use the cream cheese and frost the cake. Using the piping bag make it more easier and the mixture is spread uniformly).
Assembling the cake
- Take the cake and level the top of the cake by cutting the excess with a help of a knife. (the extra trimmed part of the cake is use to make crumbs and balls for decoration).
- Spread some cream cheese frosting on the cake board or plate or anything on which the cake needs to be set and assemble.
- Put the trimmed side cake facing the cake board and the smooth surface facing top as shown. Brush evenly with the sugar syrup or spread around 3-4 tbps of sugar syrup to soak the cake.
- Now with the help of a piping bag , squeeze the cream cheese frosting uniformly as shown. Or put 2-3 laddle of frosting and spread it uniformly with a palette knife.
- Put the second layer of cake over the frosting. Put the trimmed side facing the frosting and the smooth side on top. Soak the top layer of the cake with sugar syrup.
- Now again squeeze the cream cheese frosting uniformly with a help of a piping bag as shown on the top layer of the cake. Also squeeze the frosting on the edges of the cake.
- Spread the frosting of the cake evenly and smooth with the help of a palette knife. Refrigerate the cake for 1 hour.
Making cake crumbs and red velvet cream cheese balls
- Take the trimmed part of the cake and make crumbs by breaking it into small pieces and rubbing between the palms.
- Take around 1/2 cups of crumbs and add 2 tbsp of frosting into it and mix well to form a dough. (you can add more frosting if you feel the mixture dry).
- Take small portions and make small smooth balls by rolling the mixture between the palms.
Final Decoration of cake
- Remove the cake from fridge and try to smoothen again. The finishing need not be perfect as we will need to decorate the cake with crumbs all around.
- Spread the crumbs on the edge of the top layer of the cake. Then take the crumbs into your palms and spread on the sides of the cake. Remvoe the excess crumbs from the cake board and clean the surface of the board.
- Decorate the edges of the cake with half red velvet flavored oreos. Put some frosting on the oreo and stick them. Decorate with some oreos on the top.
- Finally decorate with the prepared cream cheese balls and refrigerate for 3-4 hours and then cut and serve.
- The layer of the cake seen afte cutting.