Eggless Tiramisu Cake is a popular coffee rich Italian dessert served in a cake form. The eggless vanilla sponge is soaked with coffee syrup and layered and covered with irresistible creamy whipped mascarpone cheese and cream mixture. The cake is dusted with cocoa powder and is refrigerated and served chilled. This indulgent cake is moist, creamy and balanced perfectly with flavors and aroma of coffee and cocoa and is perfect to celebrate any occasion.
Tiramisu is one of my favorite desserts. I always had it in the restaurants. Mascarpone cheese is one of the most important ingredient to make a good tiramisu. Back in India when we lived in Bharuch, Mascarpone cheese was not available and hence I had never got the opportunity to make this tempting dessert.
When I came to Sydney, I could find the mascarpone cheese ready available in the supermarkets and hence I was always finding an occasion to make the Tiramisu.
However if mascarpone cheese is not available you can substitute it with cream cheese. The cake will taste a bit of sour or you will need to balance the sourness by adding more sugar to it.
Authentically Tiramisu is made by layering the soaked the lady finger dipped in coffee syrup with mascarpone cheese, sugar and egg mixture. It is then flavored with cocoa powder and chilled and cut and served into pieces. Tiramisu in Italian means “pick me up” or “cheer me up”.
It was my friend’s (Dr Neelam Singh and Dr Puneet Singh) marriage anniversary. I thought this would be a perfect time to surprise and cheer up the lovely couple by making Tiramisu in the form of a cake. I had made some for my friend (Kavita) and my family too.
Puneet’s mother and my mother in law do not eat egg and hence I made the cake eggless and also non alcoholic. (Authentic Tiramisu has rum or coffee liquor in it).
Neelam and Puneet were very happy when I went to wish them at their home with this Eggless and Non alcoholic Tiramisu cake. Kavita was very happy when I gave her cake too.
Neelam messaged me saying the cake was super yummy and Kavita was happy to celebrate the cake with no occasion and her entire family loved the cake .
My mother in law (Geeta Shah) and father in law (Chetan Shah) are coffee lovers. My mother in law enjoyed the cake to the fullest though my father in law did not have it as he wanted to control his blood sugar. But he enjoyed the aroma of coffee from the cake though. My husband (Mithil), son (Aarav) and myself could not stay away from this irresistible dessert.
Neelam shared with me the pic after the cake was cut.
Friends my family and friends enjoyed the Tiramisu cake and found it very yummy. Please do try out this recipe and share your feedback with me.
Khao dilse, Khilao dilse aur banao dilse….
Eggless Tiramisu Cake
- measuring cup
- measuring spoon
- hand whisk
- cake tin
- electric beater
- palette knife
- bowl and spoon
- tea strainer
Eggless Vanilla Sponge
- 1.5 cup All purpose Flour Maida (you can also use wheat flour. )
- 2 tbsp custard powder Or cornflour (I have used vanilla flavored custard powder as it gives a nice golden yellow and taste to the base).
- 1/2 tsp baking soda
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 1/2 cup oil any flavorless oil
- 1/2 cup milk powder
- 1/2 cup sugar I have used raw sugar
- 3/4 cup yogurt thick yogurt at room temperature. ( I have used homemade yogurt)
- 1/4 cup milk at room temperature
- 2 tbsp milk extra at room temperature
- 1 tsp vanilla essence
- 2 tsp oil to grease the pan
- 1 tbsp flour to grease the pan
Whipping Mascarpone and heavy cream
Eggless Vanilla Sponge
- Sift all purpose flour, custard powder, baking soda, baking powder, salt for three to four times. Keep aside.
- In a bowl add oil, sugar, milk powder.
- Mix well till sugar dissolves with a hand whisk.
- Add the yogurt. Mix well.
- Add milk.
- Beat for a couple of minute till everything is properly mixed.
- Now gradually add the sifted dry ingredients into batches. Add half of the dry ingredients and gently mix.
- Add remaining half of dry ingredients.
- Mix gently to make a lump free smooth batter.
- Pour the batter into greased and dusted 8 " diameter cake pan.
- Bake in a preheated oven @ 180 C for 35-40 minutes.
- Remove from the oven and cool and unmould the cake.
- Let it cool. (I always prepare the sponge on the previous day and use it on the next day. The cake is easy to cut when cooled properly).
Whipping Mascarpone and heavy cream
- Put the bowl and beater blade in the freezer for 2 hours. Take the chilled bowl and blade.
- Add the chilled heavy cream to it.
- Beat it on low speed for 4-5 minutes. It will start to get thicken. Add icing sugar to it.
- Beat for 2 more minutes on low speed till soft peaks are formed.
- Add chilled mascarpone cheese, coffee powder and vanilla essence.
- Beat well for 3-4 minutes on low speed till everything is combined well and semi stiff peaks starts to form.
- Beat for a couple of more minutes till stiff peaks are formed. (Invert the bowl. If the cream does not slide then it is ready). Do not over beat the cream otherwise it will curdled.
- Smoothen with a spatula in the bowl. Cover and let it refrigerate for couple of hours or a minimum of 30 minutes.
- In a bowl add instant coffee powder and sugar.
- Add boiling water to it.
- Mix well. Let is cool. The coffee syrup is ready.
Assembling And Decorating Tiramisu Cake
- Take the prepared cool eggless vanilla sponge.
- Level the top of the cake by cutting the risen cake with a knife.
- Divide the cake into two halves horizontally with the help of a knife. (I will cut the edge of the cake to make a mark as shown. It helps in placing the cake back in the same order after it is separated to soak and fill the cream).
- The cake is cut and open.
- Take the serving plate or a cake board and spread the whipped mascarpone cream on it. Now place the inverted top layer of the cake and soak it with around 4 tbsp of coffee syrup evenly as shown.
- Put two big dollops of the prepared whipped cream and spread it evenly with a palette knife or flat spatula.
- Invert the bottom layer of the cake such that the smooth side is on the top as shown. Soak it 4 tbsp of coffee syrup. Put around 2-3 big dollops of prepared whipped cream.
- Spread it evenly on the top and sides.
- Smoothen the top and edges of the cake. (It need not be sharp finishing). Refrigerate the cake for 6-8 hours or overnight.
- Remove the cake. Put the desired shaped cut paper on it.
- Sprinkle cocoa powder on the top of the cake with with a tea strainer. (I made this cake for a friend's anniversary so have put a heart shape on it. You can skip the shape and sprinkle cocoa powder evenly on the cake).
- Sprinkle evenly.
- Now gently remove the paper.
- Decorate the outer edges of the top of the cake with grated dark chocolate and sprinkle some on the side edges of the cake. Refrigerate the cake till it is to be served.
- The eggless tiramisu cake is ready. Remove 10 -15 minutes before serving from the refrigerator and it cut it with sharp knife and enjoy it chilled. The left over cake can be refrigerated for 3-4 days in an airtight container.