Kesar Badam Puri / Saffron Almond Cookie is a gluten free, flourless, eggless , easy to make sweet made with powdered almonds, milk, cardamom and saffron. Saffron gives nice flavor and bright colour to the puri. The puri can be made and stored in the air tight container for 8-10 days . Enjoy it any time of the day!!
I had shared with you all earlier on the blog the recipe of the Kaju Badam Puri (Gluten Free Cashewnut Almond Cookies) . The recipe showed the detailed steps of making almond meal or powdered almonds at home by blanching, peeling , drying and crushing them. I have used store brought almond meal for the recipe I am sharing today. You can however make at home followi ng the previous recipe shared.
The thumb rule is use half quantity of powdered sugar to whatever amount of powdered almonds you use . Add milk gradually to knead into a stiff dough then.
Friends I had made this recipe for the Janmashthami festival and my family loved it. Please do try it and share your reviews with me.
Khao dilse, khilao dilse aur banao dilse…
Kesar Badam Puri / Saffron Almond Cookie
- flat big plate or dish for kneading
- butter paper x 4
- rolling pin
- Baking tray
- cookie cutter or anything to cut round 1 big and another small in size
- 3 cup almond meal I had used store brought almond meal . You can make at home by soaking almonds in warm water. Remove the skin. Dry them thoroughly with kitchen towel. Then crush them with mixer grinder. You can see detail steps of it in the recipe of kaju badam puri that I had shared earlier on the blog.
- 1.5 cup powdered sugar I had used raw sugar
- 2 tbsp warm milk Use a little more if you need.
- 2 tsp saffron
- 1 tbsp ghee
- 2 tsp cardamom powder elaichi
- Take warm milk and add saffron to it. Mix it well. In a mixing plate add almond meal, powdered sugar, cardamom powder .
- Mix the dry ingredients well . Add the saffron milk in it. Start to knead into a stiff dough. Add a little milk more if needed. (To make vegan add almond milk in place of regular milk ).
- The dough is kneaded. Apply ghee. (To make vegan add coconut oil in place of ghee).
- Smoothen the dough. Divide into 4 parts.
- Take one part and roll into a ball. Place on a butter paper and flatten it. (You can also use greased plastic sheet in place of butter paper) .
- Put other butter paper over it and roll it to 5 mm thickness with a rolling pin. With the help of cutter, cut into different shapes as per your choice. I had used round cookie cutter of 3 cm diameter . With the help of small cutter cut the left over part.
- Place the cut puris / cookies on the baking tray lined with butter paper.
- Bake in pre heated oven at 180 C for 5 minutes. Remove the tray and let puris/ cookies cool for 5-8 minutes. This is very important as the puri will flip well without breaking. Gently flip the puri on the other side with the help of spatula. Put again in the oven and bake for 5 more minutes. Do not over cook or else they will become chewy and hard. The puri will be soft. Cool it completely. They will become firm on cooling. Serve the puri or store in an airtight container for 8-10 days at room temperature or refrigerate for 20-25 days.
- Kesar Badam Puri / Saffron Almond Cookie are ready to serve. They are very yummy.