Less Oil Potato Bhajiya/ Pan fried Potato Fritters are a very healthy snack made in few minutes. The potato slices coated with chickpea flour batter is pan fried with a little oil instead of deep frying it. It taste same as the regular bhajiyas and can be enjoyed guilt free any time with a cup of tea. It is vegan and skip asfoetida to make it glutenfree.
My husband and I try to avoid the deep fried food. My son loves the bhajiyas. He will wait for his dadi or nani (grandmother) to come and visit us and will request them to make bhajiyas for him.
Since Aarav loves bhajiyas and would like to eat them frequently, I have started making him the less oil version of potato bhajiyas. He loves them and they are very similar in taste. (Sometimes very occasionally, I will make for him the deep fried version as a treat for his good work).
Why to eat the deep fried food when you can make it with less oil.
So friends hope you like this healthy treat from me. Do try it and share your reviews with me.
Less Oil Potato Bhajiya/ Pan fried Potato Fritters
- 4 tbsp chickpea flour besan
- 1 tbsp rice flour chawal ka atta
- 1/4 tsp turmeric powder haldi
- 1/2 tsp red chili powder or as per taste
- 1/4 tsp asafoetida hing. (Skip asafoetida to make it glutenfree)
- 1 medium potato washed, peeled and thinly sliced
- 1 tbsp oil for pan frying
- water to make batter and to boil the potato slices
- salt as per taste
- First we will make batter. In a bowl take chickpea flour, rice flour, turmeric powder, red chili powder, asafoetida and salt. Mix them well.
- Gradually add water and mix the flour to make the batter. Mix well with a spoon or a whisk to make a lump free batter. It will take around 1/4 cup of water. The batter should not be too runny. It should be thick and flowing. Whisk the batter nicely to make it light and fluffy for 5 minutes.
- Wash, peel and thinly slice the potato.
- In a pot, heat enough water with salt. Add the potato slices.
- Boil them in water for 5-7 minutes or soft.
- Drain them in the strainer. Keep aside for 5 minutes.
- Put the drained Potato slices in the batter. Coat them nice and evenly.
- Heat a non stick pan. Put 2 tsp of oil on it. Removed the potato slices coated with batter from the bowl and put them on the non stick pan. Cook for 3-4 minutes on one side.
- Flip another side and cook till the golden in color. Put few drops of oil if necessary.
- Similarly cook other slices.
- The less oil potato bhajiya are ready to serve. Enjoy them guilt free at anytime of the day with a cup of tea or coffee.