Tricolor Burfi With Milk Powder / Three Layer Burfi is a very quick Indian Sweet made from milk powder, nuts and flavored with saffron, rosewater and cardamom. It is a three layer sweet made with three natural color and three flavors. The top saffron layer is made with cashew nut and gets flavor and color from saffron, middle white layer is made with coconut and flavored with rose water and the third green layer is made with pistachio and pepitas and is flavored with cardamom. A dish perfect to celebrate any occasion.
It is glutenfree and can be enjoyed when fasting (upwaas/ vraat).
I have made this dish to celebrate two festival falling on the same day – Independence day and Rakshabandhan.
Wishing you all a very Happy Independence Day! and Happy Rakshabandhan to all my dear brothers!!
Tricolor symbolises our tricolor flag and burfi is a traditional sweet to celebrate the festival of rakshabandhan.
The Indian flag has three colour – saffron , white and green. So have made this three layer burfi with three colour similar to our national flag. I have used all the natural ingredients to give colour and flavor to the dish.
I request you all to try making this easy recipe for your family and friends and serve them healthy and artificial ingredient free.
Few points will make it easy to make the burfi at home:
- Use a non stick pan.
- Keep on stirring the mixture continuously after milk powder is added as milk powder is very sensitive to heat and will stick at the bottom of the pan quickly.
- Keep heat on low when mixing all the ingredients and then put the heat on medium and stir continuously till the mixture leaves the pan.
- Try use butter paper to set the mixture or grease the tray or tin with ghee.
- Let the mixture set for more time before cutting into pieces. You can also refrigerate if in hurry. The more time the mixture gets to set, the burfi will cut more easily with sharp edges. (I had to show the pieces cut in video and hence I have refrigerated for 15 minutes and then cut into pieces.
- Use sharp knife to cut the burfi once set.
Friends I hope you enjoyed watching the video of making tri color burfi and please like and share the recipe.
Till then khao dilse, khilao dilse and banao dilse..
Tricolor Burfi With Milk Powder / Three Layer Burfi
Top saffron color layer
Middle white layer
Bottom green layer
- Heat ghee in a nonstick pan. When ghee is melted add milk. Mix well. Keep the heat low.
- Add milk powder in batches and mix well to avoid the lumps from forming. Press well while mixing the milk powder so if any lumps are formed they will be pressed well and mixed well.
- Add sugar and mix well.
- Add pistachio and pepita powder and mix well.
- Add cardamom powder and mix well.
- Now put heat to medium and stir the mixture till it leaves the sides of the pan and forms a big lump together. It will take around 4-5 minutes. Stir the mixture continuously to avoid it getting stick at the bottom of the pan.
- Once the mixture comes together, switch off the heat and transfer the mixture to a greased plate or a tin lined with butter paper and spread the mixture uniformly as per the thickness needed.
- Keep the mixture aside to set. And make other layers.
Middle white layer
- In the same pan, heat ghee on low heat. Add milk to it and mix well.
- Gradually add milk powder into batches and mix well stirring continuously to avoid formation of lumps.
- Add desiccated coconut and sugar. Mix well.
- Add rose water and mix well.
- Now put the mixture on medium heat and stir continuously till it leaves the edges of the pan and forms a big lump.
- Switch off the pan and transfer the white layer on the top of the green layer. Spread uniformly the mixture. Let the mixture set and start making the third layer.
Top Saffron Layer
- Add ghee on low heat in the same pan. Add milk to it and mix well.
- Now add milk powder gradually to the mixture and stir continuously to avoid lumps.
- Add sugar and mix well.
- Add cashew nut powder and saffron infused milk. Mix well.
- Mix well
- Put the heat to medium and stir the mixture continuously till it starts to leave the edges of pan and forms a big lump.
- Switch off the flame and transfer the mixture on the top the white layer and spread it evenly.
- Now all the three layers are spread nicely. Keep it aside to set. You can refrigerate for 30 minutes if in hurry. (the burfi will cut nicely the longer it is set. I have refrigerated for 15 minutes and cut into pieces).
- With a sharp knife cut the burfi into your desired shape and size. Serve. The burfi can be stored for couple of days at room temperature in cold weather and can be refrigerated for a week.
- Wishing all a very happy independence day and happy rakshabandhan to my dear brothers.