Masala Karela / Spiced Bittergourd is a delicious dish made by cooking the bitter bitter gourd or karela with a spiced masala made using roasted chickpea flour, peanut, sesame seeds, spices. The spices hides the bitter taste of karela and enhances the flavor. Masala karela is served with roti, dal or kadhi , or aamras , or rice for a complete meal. This no onion, no garlic , vegan dish is popularly served in many Gujarati restaurants and in the wedding lunch or dinner.
I had not remove the peel of the bitter gourd. I always prefer cooking karela with the peel. However if you cannot handle the bitter taste of karela, then sprinkle some salt on the sliced bitter gourd and let it sit for 5-10 minutes. Now squeeze gently the karela. The salt will soften the karela and release water from it. This way the bitter water from the karela will be removed and it will become less bitter.
I had shared with you all the recipe of Kaju Karela Nu Shak / Kaju Karele Ki Subji (Bitter Gourd And Cashewnut Stir Fry) .
Friends please do try these recipes and I am sure you and your family will enjoy the bitter karela more often.
Khao dilse, khilao dilse aur banao dilse….
Masala Karela / Spiced Bittergourd
- mixing bowl
- heavy bottom wok or pan
- In a pan roast the chickpea flour on low heat for 7-8 minutes or till aromatic.
- In a mixture jar add peanuts and sesame seeds.
- Crush them together coarsely.
- In a mixing plate add roasted chickpea flour, crushed peanuts, sesame seeds, asafoetida, turmeric, red chili powder, coriander cumin powder, garam masala, dry mango powder (amchur), sugar. Add salt and oil.
- Mix well. (This mixture can be freezed for three months or refrigerated for a month. You can hence make it in a big batch and store). The masala is ready to use. You can add ginger garlic paste and onion to the masala if you want but the masala has to be freezed without ginger garlic and onion.
Bitter gourd stir fry
- Wash and pat dry the bitter gourd (karela). (Wash the bitter gourd properly since we will be using the skin too).
- Cut the bitter gourd horizontally and remove big seeds if any.
- Slice the bitter gourd as shown.
- Heat oil in a heavy bottom wok or pan. Add asafoetida, sesamae seeds and turmeric powder. Saute. ( I prefer less oil and had added less but you can add a little extra oil if needed).
- Add the sliced bitter gourd and salt. Mix well.
- Cover and cook the bitter gourd on medium heat for 8-9 minutes or till they soften.
- Now add the prepared masala. Mix well.
- Add some salt if needed. Cover and cook for 2-3 minutes stirring in between.
- The masala karela are ready to serve. Add some chopped coriander if you like. Since i did not have coriander, I had not added it.
- Remove masala karela in the serving bowl. Sprinkle some sesame seeds and serve with rotis or parathas and dal or kadhi or aamras for a complete meal.