Mint Flavored Roasted Makhana/ Foxnut / Lotus seed is a very healthy and light snack made by roasting the makhana/foxnut/lotus seed with mint and spices. This vegan and gluten free snack is perfect mid morning snack or can be munched while watching a movie by replacing it with the fried or store brought snack. The roasted makhana is also enjoyed as a snack while fasting / upwaas/vraat.
Makhana or Euryale is a plant native to east and south Asia. Makhana can be eaten by roasting them with the spices of your choice, or use in preparing curries, or can be used to make pudding /kheer for a delicious dessert.
The makhana are very healthy and are rich in calcium, protein, carbohydrate, fibre and minerals such as zinc. They are low in cholesterol, fat and sodium and hence are perfect to have as mid meal snacks and good for people looking for weight loss. They are low in GI and hence diabetic friendly. They are gluten free and are also consumed while fasting during occasion of Navratri, Shivratri, Holi, or other fasting festivals.
It is always important to roast the makhana on low heat for 10-12 minutes. They will burn and not turn crispy if roasted on high heat. So be patient while roasting them. Alternatively you can pop them in the oven and roast them @ 150 C for 20-25 minutes and you can do some other work while they are getting roasted. The makhana taste best even if they are just seasoned with salt and pepper. You can try variation in the spices while roasting them as per your choice. You can use different ingredients such as tomato powder, cheese powder, onion powder, garlic powder, mexican seasoning, italian seasoning to flavor them.
You can add roasted nuts and seeds to the makhana to make a healthy trail mix.
So friends do try making this very easy healthy snack for your kids, family and friends and replace them with the junk and processed snacks. Also please share your reviews with me.
Khao dilse, khilao dilse aur banao dilse…
Mint Flavored Roasted Makhana/ Foxnut/ Lotus seed
- heavy bottom pan or wok
- 2 cup makhana fox nut / lotus seed
- 1 tsp dry mint powder phudina powder
- 1/2 tsp chaat masala
- 1/4 tsp rock salt sanchal or as per taste
- 1 tbsp oil
- Heat a heavy bottom pan and roast the makhana / fox nut / lotus seeds on low heat for 10-12 minutes.
- Or alternatively you can roast the makhana in the preheated oven at 150 C for 20 minutes.
- After 10 minutes they will start changing color and start to become crisp. Remove them in the bowl.
- In the same pan, heat oil. (You can also use ghee instead).
- Put back the roasted makhana on low heat and season with mint powder, chat masala and rock salt. (You can also use the regular salt or sindhav salt). Mix well till the spices are evenly coated.
- Roast for a couple of more minutes. Remove from the heat. The mint flavored roasted makhana are ready.
- Serve the mint flavored roasted makhana / foxnut/ lotus seeds with tea, coffee or juice or munch them as a light mid morning snack or while watching a movie.