Nariyal Sooji Sheera / Coconut Sheera (Halwa) – A variation of traditional Indian sweet “Sheera” but made using coconut along with from semolina, milk, sugar and ghee. This quickly made dessert flavored with coconut, powdered nuts and cardamom is perfect to make for any occasion.
To make it vegan use coconut oil and coconut milk in place of ghee and milk. You can also use fresh grated coconut in place of desiccated coconut.
I have shared earlier with you different recipes of sheera:
Ghau Na Jada Lot Badam No Sheero/ Atta Badaam Ka Sheera / Coarse Wheat FLour Almond Halwa
Please do make this quick dessert and impress your friends and family.
Please do share your feedback and suggestions with me. They are very valuable.
Khao dilse, khilao dilse aur banao dilse…
Nariyal Sooji Sheera / Coconut Sheera (Halwa)
- heavy bottom pan with lid
- small bowl
- pot to boil milk
- 1/2 cup ghee clarified butter or add coconut oil to make vegan
- 1 cup semolina sooji, rava
- 4 cup milk or add coconut milk to make vegan
- 1/2 cup mixed nuts (almond, cashewnut, pista all powdered)
- 1 cup desiccated coconut
- 1 tsp cardamom powder elaichi
- 1 tbsp almonds chopped for garnishing
- 1 tbsp cashew nut chopped for garnishing
- 1 tbsp pistachio chopped for garnishing
- 1 tbsp desiccated coconut for garnishing
- Heat ghee in a pan. Also put milk to boil in another pot.
- Add sooji /semolina to it and stir it continuously on medium heat.
- Saute sooji for about 8-10 minutes. It will start releasing aroma and will change the color.
- Add desiccated coconut and powdered mixed dry nuts (almonds, cashew nut, pistachio).
- Saute for a minute.
- Add the hot milk to the sooji slowly. Stir the mixture continuously till it thickens.
- The mixture is absorbing milk and starts to get thicken.
- Now add sugar to it and mix well.
- The sugar will dissolve and mixture will become runny again.
- Cover the mixture with a lid and cook on low heat for five minutes.
- Remove the lid and stir the mixture. Add cardamom powder mix well. Cover and cook for a minute. The Nariyal sooji sheera / Coconut sheera (halwa) is ready to serve.
- Grease a bowl with ghee.
- Fill the bowl the nariyal sooji sheera. Press well.
- Unmould the sheera on the serving plate.
- Garnish the sheera with chopped nuts and desiccated coconut and serve warm. I had offered the sheera to Lalji and hence put some holy basil (tulsi) leaves on it. The sheera can be refrigerated for 3-4 days in an airtight container. Warm it in microwave or steam in pressure cook before serving.