Moongwadi ki kadhi is a spicy and tasty curry made by cooking moong wadi (dried moong dal nuggets/dumplings) in sour yogurt, curry leaves and spices. It is a popular variation of kadhi cooked in states of Rajasthan and Gujarat in India. Since moogwadi are ready to cook, this kadhi is very quick and easy to make. It can be enjoyed with steamed rice, roti, paratha, bhakri, bajri or jowar ki roti or khichdi. It can be carried for a potluck or picnic. Skip asafoetida to make gluten free.
We had a potluck dinner at my friends (Kavita Mahidadia) place. It was a nice chilly winter night. The menu was masala khichdi and kadhi. So this time Kavita had requested me to make a different kadhi such as using moongwadi or with moon pakodi. My husband insisted that we should do a video of making kadhi.
So then keeping in mind all the the requests, here is the step by step video of making the delicious moongwadi kadhi.
Friends, hope you like my first video featuring in front of you. Do try out this recipe and I am eagerly waiting to hear feedback from you. Your feedback and comments are very precious and they inspire and motivate me a lot.
Also friends do let me know if any recipe you want to learn and I will put my best efforts to show it.
Thank you once again for all your support and encouragement. See you soon with the next recipe video.
Till then Happy cooking!!
Khao dil se, khilao dil se aur banao dilse….
Moongwadi Ki Kadhi
- 2 cup yogurt sour yogurt. I have used homemade yougurt
- 1 cup moongwadi dried moongdal dumplings
- 4 tbsp chickpea flour besan
- 1 tbsp oil
- 1.5 tbsp ghee clarified butter
- 1/2 tsp mustard seeds rai
- 1/2 tsp cumin seeds jeera
- 1/2 tsp fenugreek seeds methi dana
- 1/2 tsp asafoetida hing
- 1 inch ginger grated
- 3 green chili slit
- 12 curry leaves
- 1 dry red chili
- 1/2 tsp turmeric powder haldi
- 1/2 tsp red chili powder or as per spice level needed
- 2 tbsp coriander leaves washed and chopped finely
- salt as per taste. The moongwadi has salt so add accordingly.
- 5 cup water
- Here are all the ingredients - sour yogurt, chickpea flour, moongwadi, oil, ghee, cumin seeds, mustard seeds, fenugreek seeds, asafoetida, grated ginger, green chili, curry leaves, dry red chili, asafoetida, turmeric powder, red chili powder, salt, coriander, water.
- We will first prepare the lump free mixture of yogurt and chickpea. In a mixing bowl add chickpea flour and yogurt. Mix well with a hand whisk and make a lumpfree soft mixture. You can also use a hand blender or a spoon to make mixture.
- Mix well to make a lump free and smooth mixture.
- In a pan heat oil.
- After the oil is heated add dry moong wadi and roast on medium heat for 5-6 minutes till golden brown.
- The moongwadi are nicely roasted golden brown. Remove it in a bowl and keep aside.
- In the same pan, heat ghee.
- Add mustard seeds, cumin seeds, and fenugreek seeds.
- Saute them well for a minute or till aromatic.
- Add grated ginger, green chili, curry leaves, red chili and asafoetida.
- Saute them well.
- Add turmeric powder .
- Saute well.
- Add the prepared chickpea and yogurt mixture. Keep the heat on high to prevent yogurt from curdling.
- Stir the mixture constantly to prevent it from sticking at the bottom. Mix the mixture well.
- After the mixture is mixed well add water.
- Now constantly stir the mixture to prevent from curdling on high heat.
- Add red chili powder. Mix well and bring the mixture to boil while stirring continuously.
- It will take around 7-8 minutes for the mixture to come to boil.
- Once the mixture starts boiling add roasted moongwadi.
- Let the mixture boil. Add salt. (adding salt after in boiling yogurt chickpea mixture avoids the yogurt to curdle).
- Add some coriander leaves. Mix well.
- Put the heat to medium and cover and cook the mixture for 10 minutes or till the moongwadi softens.
- After 10 minutes the kadhi is cooking nicely and and all the spices are nicely absorbed.
- You can check the moongwadi by taking in the spoon and pressing them with finger. The moongwadi will be pressed easily.
- Add some more coriander and mix well.
- The moongwadi kadhi is ready.
- Remove in a serving bowl.
- Garnish mooongwadi kadhi with chopped coriander.
- Serve piping hot moongwadi kadhi with steamed rice, roti, paratha, bhakri, bajri and jowar roti, khichdi. It can be carried for the potluck or picnic.