Raagi Baati (Gluten Free) is a gluten free variation of the traditional and popular baati made from wheat flour . Dal Baati is delicacy from the Rajasthan region of India and served together with lots of ghee, chutney, onions and chilles. It is a complete nutritious dish with balance of carbs and proteins and taste. To make gluten free the whole wheat flour baati is replaced with baati made with raagi flour and chick pea flour and is served with spiced lentil dal , loads of ghee , coriander chutney, sliced onions, green chili, . Ghee enhances the flavors and taste of the dish so stop worrying about calories and enjoy baati with ghee.
I had shared the recipe of dal baati churma made with whole wheat earlier.
I had made the dal baati churma for Christmas dinner when I had invited my friend (Dr Neelam Singh) along with her family. They enjoyed it to the fullest. Since Neelam’s mother in law is diabetic and does not prefer eating wheat , I had made raagi baati too.
Friends please do try this gluten free baati and share your feedback with me.
Khao dilse,khilao dilse aur banao dilse…
Raagi Baati (Gluten Free)
- mixing bowl
- Baking tray
- baking paper
- measuring cup
- measuring spoon
- small bowl
- damp cloth or cling wrap
- 1 cup red millet raagi, naachni
- 1/2 cup chickpea flour besan
- 1 tbsp oil
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 1/8 tsp baking powder
- 3/4 cup water or more or less needed to knead dough
- 1 cup melted ghee to soak the baati. You will not need it all.
- In a mixing bowl add raagi flour, chickpea flour, oil, salt, baking powder. Mi well.
- Gradually add water and knead into a stiff but soft dough. Cover and dough with a damp cloth or cling wrap and let it rest for 20 minutes.
- Divide into six portions. Take one portion and roll into a smooth ball and flatten it.
- Squeeze the ends together as shown such that there is a a hollow space or indent created in the center.
- Squeeze from the top and bottom end such as they it shows x mark of the indent. This will ensure that the baati is evenly cooked and is light from the center after cooking.
- Now roll the baati to smooth. Similarly make the remaining baati with the remaining dough.
- Arrange the baati on a baking tray lined with baking paper.
- Bake the baati in the preheated oven at 180 C for 35-40 minutes or golden from top.
- Take melted ghee in a bowl around 1cup. Add 2-3 baati and soak for minute. (traditionally the baati are soaked into the ghee for longer time. But since now a days people are calorie conscious, the baati is soaked for very less time). It is best to soak the baati as soon as they come out of the oven.
- With the help of thongs gently remove the soaked baati from ghee and drain excess of ghee and remove in a plate. The cracks in the baati will help to abosrb the ghee while soaking.
- Soak and drain the remaining baati.
- Remove the baati into a serving plate.
- Now serve the baati with piping hot dal, ghee, sliced onions, green chili and enjoy. Crush the baati with palms. Pour the piping hot dal, and drizzle ghee over it and enjoy the dal baati.
3 thoughts on “Raagi Baati (Gluten Free)”
Loved the idea of making baati hollow inside, solves the problem of undercooking in center.