Sabudana / Sago Fritters are the deep fried snacks made with mixture made with soaked sago (sabudana), boiled potatoes, peanuts, ginger chili , coriander. They are gluten free and vegan and are usually made during Hindu fasting festivals such as Navratri, Shivratri, Ekadashi, Chaturthi, Janmashthami. They can also be enjoyed as a snack with a cup of tea or coffee.
Other recipe made using sabudana on the blog:
Friends do try this recipe for the upcoming fasting season and share your reviews with me.
Khao dilse, khilao dilse aur banao dilse….
Sabudana / Sago Fritters
- mixing plate or big bowl
- plate x 2
- small bowl
- deep pot or pan for frying
- slotted spoon
- kitchen paper towel
- 4 potato boiled and mashed
- 2 cup sago
- 1/2 cup peanut roasted and crushed
- 1 tbsp ginger chili paste
- 1/2 cup coriander washed and finely chopped
- 14 curry leaves washed and finely chopped
- 1 tsp cumin seeds
- salt to taste
- oil to deep fry and grease the vada
- Take sabudana and washed for 6-7 times with water till the starch is removed and water comes out clear after washing. (The more you wash the sabudana the more starch is removed from them and they become non sticky after cooking). Now put the washed sabudana in a broad flat deep vessel / tray and soak with water. The water should be at least 1/2 cm above the sabudana layer as shown. Cover and let it soak for a minimum of 5-6 hours or overnight. (Using a broad vessel ensures that the water is equally distributed among sabudana and they will not be sticking to each other).
- Check after couple of hours the water level. The water is nicely absorbed by sabudana and they have become big. Cover and keep aside.
- After six hours the sabudana have absorbed the water nicely and have become soft and big and are not sticking to each other.
- Take the soaked sabudana in a big mixing plate or bowl. Add the boiled and mashed potato, roasted and crushed peanuts, cumin seeds, ginger chili paste, salt and curry leaves.
- Mix everything together to make a dough.
- Add the chopped coriander.
- Mix together everything well .
- Now shape the sabudana. Grease both palms with oil. Take a lemon ball size in palm and shape into a smooth ball.
- Flatten with palm. Now with finger make a hole in center of the disc as shown.
- The disc with hole is ready .
- Similarly shape the remaining dough.
- Deep frying sabudana. Heat oil on high heat. Once the oil is heated, lower the heat and bring it to medium heat. Put one vada and splash oil over it. Once it starts to get golden , put another vada and splash again oil over it and deep fry the vada by flipping them till golden and crispy. Remove in a plate lined with kitchen paper towel. Similarly deep fry the remaining vada.
- Serve the hot vada with chutney or tea.
- I had served the vada with zucchini raita, tea and ketchup as an evening snack.