Samo Khichdi / Moriayo /Bhaghar /Samak Chawal is a quick and easy recipe made using the gluten free barnyard millet. The khichdi can be made under 20 minutes by sauteing and cooking all ingredients together. The cumin and ginger green chili uplifts the taste of the bland samo or barnyard millet and peanuts give a good crunch to the recipe. The recipe can not only be enjoyed while fasting but can be enjoyed on any other days. The khichdi is best served when warm with some ghee, curd, raita, shingara kadhi , or shaak.
My farali platter: Samo Khichdi/ moraiyo/ bhagar with zucchini raita, sugared sweet potato, suran/ yam nu shaak, dry nuts laddoo, mango, salted chips .
Other farali recipes when fasting on the blog:
Friends do try this recipe and share your review with me.
khao dilse, khilao dilse aur banao dilse….
Samo Khichdi / Moriayo /Bhaghar /Samak Chawal
- heavy bottom pan with lid
- 1/2 cup barnyard millet samo, moraiyo, samak chawal, bhagar. Washed and soaked for 4-5 hours
- 2 tsp ghee clarified butter
- 1 tsp cumin seeds jeera
- 8 curry leaves
- 2 tsp ginger green chili paste
- 2 tsp peanut roasted and coarsely crushed
- 3 cup water or more or less as per the conistency needed
- salt as per taste
- Heat 1 tsp ghee in a heavy bottom pan. Add cumin seeds and let it crackle. Add ginger green chili paste , curry leaves and saute them. Add the washed and soaked samo and add roasted crushed peanut, salt and water.
- Cover and cook on high heat till water comes to a boil. Thereafter low the heat and cover and simmer the samo till it is cooked and soft almost for 15 minutes. Add more or less water as needed to adjust the consistency needed.
- Now add another 1 tsp of ghee .
- Mix well. The samo is cooked and is ready to serve.
- Serve Samo Khichdi / Moriayo /Bhaghar /Samak Chawal hot with suaran nu shaak or batata nu farali shaak, raita of your choice or curd and salad as a complete meal.
- I had served samo khichdi with zucchini raita, sugared sweet potato chips, suran nu shaak, dry nut laddoo, mango, salted chips as a complete farali meal.