Saragva Sing Ni Dal / Drumstick (Moringa) Dal is a protein rich dal loaded with goodness of nutritious moringa or drumstick. It is very easy to make and can be served with roti or bhakri, subji, rice, salad, dahi (yogurt), chaas (buttermilk) for a complete meal.
Drumstick /Moringa or Saragva ni singh is a long ,slender, seed pod grown on the moringa trees. The drumstick has pulp and seeds in it. The drumstick is mostly used in Indian and South Indian cooking. It is parboiled or boiled and is used in making sambhar, dal, kadhi and curries. Drumstick is very nutritious and high in Vitamin C. The vitamin C is not degraded after cooking and is retained in drumstick. Besides that drumstick is very high in calcium, dietary fibre, potassium, magnasium, manganese, B vitamin.
Saragva Sing Ni Dal / Drumstick (Moringa) Dal
- 1/2 cup pigeon pea arhal dal, tuvar dal
- 2 small tomato
- 1 inch ginger grated
- 1 tbsp oil
- 1/2 tsp mustard seeds rai
- 1/2 tsp cumin seeds jeera
- 1/4 tsp asafoetida hing
- 12 curry leaves I have used the dehydrated curry leaves
- 1 dry red chili
- 3 drumstick cut each into 3 pieces, moringa, saragvo
- 1/2 tsp turmeric powder
- 1 tsp red chili powder
- 1 tsp pickle masala athana no sambhar
- 1 tsp coriander cumin seed
- 1 tbsp jaggery
- 3 cup water or more if needed to adjust the consistency
- 2 tbsp coriander chopped
- 1/2 tbsp lemon juice
- salt as per taste
- Pressure cook the soaked tuvar (pigeon peas) dal / arhar dal along with chopped tomato and grated ginger and 2 cups of water for 4-5 whistles on high heat and 2 whistles on low heat. Let the pressure cooker cool by itself. Open the lid.
- Blend the dal to smooth with the help of a stick blender. Keep aside.
- Heat oil in a pot. Add mustard seeds and cumin seeds and let they crackle. Add asafoetida, curry leaves, dry red chili. Saute.
- Add chopped drumsticks and mix well.
- Add one cup of water and add spices – red chili powder, turmeric powder, coriander cumin powder and little salt for drumsticks. Let the water boil.
- The water have started to boil. Let it boil for 3-4 minutes so that the spices are absorbed by drumsticks.
- Add the blended dal mixture and remaining water. Add remaining salt as needed and jaggery and mix well. Now bring the dal to boil. (Adjust water as per the consistency needed.)
- The dal has started to boil
- Lower the heat and simmer the dal for 5-7 minutes.
- Add lemon juice and coriander and mix well.
- The Saragva Sing Ni Dal / Drumstick (Moringa) Dal is ready to serve.
- Serve Saragva Sing Ni Dal / Drumstick (Moringa) Dal with roti, or bhakri, rice,subji, salad , and dahi (yogurt) or chaas (buttermilk) for a complete meal.