Tandoori Gobi Aloo / Grilled Cauliflower Potato is a delicious dish made by marinating the blanched cauliflower florets and baby potato in the marination made with hung curd and spices. The marinated cauliflower and potato is then grilled on a charcoal barbeque or cooked in the oven and served hot with salad.
Tandoori means anything cooked using a tandoor in Indian cooking. Tandoor is a clay oven pot used for cooking or baking. The heat in the tandoor is generated by burning the charcoal or wood inside the clay pot. The food is cooked and as the juices from the food fall on the heated charcoal it releases a smoky tempting aroma. The food gets charred by the fire from the heated charcoal and has a smoky burnt effect. The food tastes delicious this way.
Traditionally a lot of non vegetarian dishes are cooked in a tandoor like tandoori chicken or chicken tikka, lamb tikka, mince meat kebab. Also flat breads like tandoori roti and kulcha are cooked using tandoor. Nowadays many vegetarian dishes are cooked in the tandoor such as mushroom tikka, paneer tikka, gobi tikka.
We get small charcoal barbeque nowadays which uses coal to cook the food. It has a grill plate on it and the food needs to be placed on the grill plate for cooking. If you do not have a barbeque you can cook in the oven or also on the pan. After cooking on the pan, place the skewers on the open flame of the gas to give the charred and burnt effect.
To make the marination, I had used the hung curd. For that I had put the curd on a clean soft cotton cloth and place it in a strainer. Put the strainer in the bowl. Put it in the refrigerator 4-5 hours or overnight. This will prevent the curd from getting sour. The excess water will drip in the bowl and the end result will be thick curd. The roasted chickpea flour gives a good flavor and binding to the vegetables in the marination.
For making the marination mustard seed oil is used. It gives a unique flavor to the dish. Since I did not had mustard seed oil , I had crushed the mustard seeds and put them in the oil for 20 minutes so that the flavor of mustard in absorbed in the oil. I had then used this oil in the marination.
Friends I am sure you have liked this recipe and do give this recipe a try and share your feedback with me.
Khao dilse, khilao dilse aur banao dilse…
Tandoori Gobi Aloo / Grilled Cauliflower Potato
- oven / barbeque
- 18 floret cauliflower gobi, washed and parboiled
- 25 baby potato boiled or parboiled. Pierce the potatoes with fork.
- 1/2 cup hung curd
- 1 tbsp ginger garlic paste
- 1 tbsp tikka masala
- 2 tsp garam masala
- 2 tbsp lemon juice or juice of one lemon
- 1 tsp mustard seed rai, crushed
- 4 tbsp oil
- 2 tbsp chickpea flour besan, roasted
- 1 tsp ajwain carom seed
- 1 tsp turmeric powder haldi
- 1 tbsp kasuri methi dry fenugreek leaves
- 2 tsp red chili powder
- salt as per taste
- oil for brushing
- In big mixing bowl add hung curd, oil, ginger garlic paste, red chili powder, turmeric powder, ajwain, tikka masala, crushed mustard seeds, garam masala, lemon juice. Mix well.
- Add kasuri methi (crush the kasuri methi between palms) and roasted chickpea flour (besan).
- Mix well and add salt as per taste.
- The marinade is ready.
- Add the parboiled cauliflower florets and baby potato. (Pierce the baby potato with fork from all the sides. This helps to absorb the flavors from the marinade better).
- Mix the cauliflower florets and baby potato gently in the marinade. Cover and keep them for 30 minutes to marinate.
- Now assemble the cauliflower florets and baby potato alternatively on the wooden skewers. (Soak the wooden skewers in water for 30 minutes to prevent from burning on the barbeque or oven). The cauliflower and potato skewers are ready to go on barbeque or oven. (Collect the leftover marination in the bowl and use while serving)
- Place the skewers on the charcoal barbeque and brush oil over them. Or place them on the baking tray lined with baking paper and grill in the preheated oven at 200 C for 20-25 minutes or till browned.
- Cook them evenly from all the sides flipping in between. Let it get charred from all the sides to get the smoky flavor. (For oven – cook for the last five minutes with the top grill on @ 250 C to get the grilled and charred effect ). The tandoori gobi aloo /grilled cauliflower potato are ready
- Arrange the tandoori gobi aloo / grilled cauliflower potato in the serving dish. Brush the leftover marination on it and serve with salad.