Snow Pea Sprout Curry is simple and yet delicious curry made by cooking snow pea sprout with onion, tomato , ginger garlic and regular Indian spices. It can be enjoyed with rotla, bhakri or dhebra.
In Bharuch (Gujarat, India), we get vaal na vaidaa (Lima bean sprout), and we make curry similar to the one that I am sharing today. Here in Sydney, I bring the snow pea sprout to make salads. I sometimes also use it to make thepla or muthia. Whenever I chop the snow pea sprout, the smell released from it reminds me of the vaal na vaidaa that I used to get in Bharuch, India.
So then i thought of making the curry from the snow pea sprout as the one that I used to make with vaal na vaidaa in Bharuch. When I made the snow pea sprout curry, my father in law (Chetan Shah) and mother In law (Geeta Shah) were super impressed and then from then on I have started to make this curry on a regular basis. My father in law would prefer to have it for dinner or lunch with Bajra na rotla. You can also enjoy the curry with bhakri or dhebra.
I have served the snow pea sprout curry with palak na dhebra / Spinach flatbread, dal tadka, potato chips nu shaak, pickled chillies for a simple and nutritious dinner.
Friends do try this simple unusual curry and do share your valuable feedback with me.
Khao dilse, khilao dilse aur banao dilse…
Snow Pea Sprout Curry
- pressure cooker
- 160 g snow pea sprout washed
- 1 tbsp oil
- 1/2 tsp mustard seeds rai
- 1/2 tsp asafoetida hing, skip to make gluten free
- 1 onion finely chopped
- 1 tbsp ginger garlic paste
- 1 tomato washed and finely chopped
- 1/2 tsp turmeric powder haldi
- 1 tsp red chili powder
- 2 tsp coriander cumin powder dhania jeera powder
- 1 cup water
- salt to taste
- Clean and wash the snow pea sprout.
- Chop the snow pea sprout finely.
- Heat oil in a pressure cooker pan. Add mustard seeds and when they crackle add asafoetida.
- Add the chopped onions, some salt and saute till the onions are translucent.
- Add ginger garlic paste and saute for a minute.
- Add chopped tomatoes and saute till the tomatoes soften.
- Add spices – turmeric powder, red chili powder, coriander cumin powder.
- Saute till the spices are nicely roasted and oil separates.
- Add the chopped snow pea sprout.
- Mix well.
- Add water.
- Add the remaininig needed salt and mix well. Cover the pressure cooker lid and put the whistle on. Cook for 4-5 whistles. Let the pressure cooker cool by itself.
- Remove the whistle and open the pressure cooker lid. The snow pea sprout curry is needed. (Adjust the consistency of curry. If you find it more watery, then boil the curry till the excess water is evaporated).
- Remove the snow pea sprout curry in a bowl and serve hot.
- I have served the snow pea sprout curry with palak dhebra (spinach flatbread), dal tadka, potato chips subji, pickled chili as a complete nutritious dinner.