Dumpling is a dish in which pastry rolled from flour is filled with different types of fillings such as chicken, meat, fruit, vegetables, dry fruits or nut. It can be given different kinds of shapes. It is then either deep fried or steamed. The dumplings are served with different kinds of sauces and is served hot.
Dumpling has become a popular dish these days. It can be considered a whole meal dish.
Different kinds of fillings can be tried to make a dumpling. You can also try out different types of shapes for making a dumpling.
It is a healthy treat during cold and chilly nights. Serve it hot with sauces of your choice.
Soya Vegetable Dumplings
Stuffing and sauces
- 1 cup cabbage grated or chopped in chopper
- 2 carrots grated or chopped
- 1 small onion chopped finely
- 2 clove garlic chopped finely
- 1/2 cup soya bean granules
- 4 tbsp coriander chopped finely
- 2 tsp black pepper powder
- salt as per taste
- 2 tbsp ketchup
- 2 tbsp red chili sauce
- 4 tbsp soy sauce
- 1 tbsp honey
- 2 tsp vinegar
- 2 tsp sesame seeds roasted
- 1/2 tsp red chili flakes
- 1/2 tsp black pepper powder
- salt to taste
- cabbage leaves for steaming dumplings
Dough for Dumpling
- In a mixing bowl, add one cup wheat flour and salt. Mix them well.
- Heat water in a pot till just before it starts boiling.
- Pour the hot water over the flour mix. (the hot water helps in gluten formation)
- Mix it well with a spoon.(as there is hot water). The mixture will become sticky.
- Knead the dough by adding the other half cup of dough gradually.
- Knead it till all the flour is absorbed and the dough becomes soft and smooth. The dough will come up again even when pressed with a finger, as shown.
- Cover it with a damp cloth and let it rest for 30 minutes. In the meantime prepare the stuffing.
Stuffing and sauces
- Put the soya granules in the a pot with salt and boil them for 2-3 minutes. Then drain them and squeeze excess water from them and keep aside.
- Grate the carrots and cabbage or chop them finely in a chopper. Finely chop the coriander.
- Heat oil in a pan and add finely chopped garlic and onions. Saute till the onions are translucent and the raw smell of garlic goes away.
- Add the soya granules and mix them well.
- Add salt, pepper and some chopped coriander to it and mix well and let the mixture cool.
- In another bowl add the grated cabbage, carrot and soya granules mixture.
- Add crushed black pepper and the remaining chopped coriander. Mix them well and keep aside.
- Make the sauces to be served with dumplings. Red sauce- Take 2 tbsp of ketchup and 2 tbsp of red chilli sauce. Mix them well. Red sauce is ready, Black sauce - Take 4 tbsp of soya sauce, 1/2 tsp black pepper powder, 1/2 tsp chili flakes, 1 tbsp honey , 2 tsp roasted sesame seeds, 2 tsp vinegar and pinch of salt. Mix them well. Sauce is ready.
- Make two equal portions of the dough. Roll them into cylindrical logs as shown.
- Cut the logs into half and the half portions into half as shown.
- Then cut each piece in half to get the equal size. Flatten the cut portions into a circle as shown.
- Add salt to the stuffing and mix well
- Take a flatten circle and dust it with flour.
- Roll into a small thin circle. Roll thin from the outer edge. The inner side of the circle should be thick then the edges.
- Make circles from all the remaining dough.
- Now place one circle on one hand. Fill one tbsp of the prepared stuffing. Apply water on the edges and fold in a semicircle as shown. The edges should be pressed and sealed properly.
- Grab the ends of the edges and roll them inwards along the straight edge. Join the ends as shown. Make all the other dumplings in similar way.
- Take a perforated plate and place cabbage leaves on it. Place the prepared dumplings on it. Place the plate on a stand in a pot filled with water. (the cabbage leaves gives a nice aroma and prevents dumplings from sticking)
- Cover it with lid and steam them for 15 minutes on medium heat.
- The dumplings are ready. Brush oil over it.
- Serve them hot with the prepared sauces.