Making everyday breakfast is a big challenge. I often make Rava idli for breakfast and for my son’s lunch box.
I usually make moong sprouts at home and use it for a variety of dishes. I like to eat it raw in salads.
Moong sprouts are low in calories and a good source of fiber. it is a good source of vitamin B and Vitamin C.
This time I thought of making them with the sooji or semolina. I followed the method of Rava Idli. I added moong sprout and spinach paste instead of water.
After that add yogurt and soda and leave the batter for 15 minutes aside. Then pour the batter into the greased idli molds and steam them in the steamer for 8-10 minutes.
The idlis came out super soft and remained soft even when they were eaten cold.
You can make “sprout rava dhoklas” with the same batter. Add ginger chili paste to the batter and pour the batter into the greased dish instead of idli mold. Sprinkle some black pepper powder and steam the dhoklas in the steamer for 8-10 minutes. Temper the dhoklas with oil, mustard seeds, cumin seeds, sesame seeds, curry leaves, green chilis and asafoetida. Serve them hot with chutney or ketchup.
You can also make “Sprout Rava Chilas” or “Sprout semolina pancakes” with the same batter. Add the ginger, garlic and green chili paste. (avoid garlic if you do not eat it). Add whole cumin seeds. Mix them well with salt. Pour ladleful of batter into a nonstick pan. Put some chopped coriander, green capsicum, and onions. Cover and cook for 2 minutes. flip and cover and cook for another 4-5 minutes. Serve them hot with chutney and ketchup.
These above recipes are nutritious, healthy and can be enjoyed as breakfast, snacks or a light lunch or dinner.
They are a healthy option for a kids lunch box.
Sprout Rava Idli
- 1 cup moong sprout
- 50 g spinach washed and chopped
- 1.25 cup semolina sooji, coarse
- 1 cup yogurt plain
- 1/4 tsp baking soda
- 1/4 tsp asafoetida
- salt as per taste
- 2 tbsp oil for greasing and applying on the cooked idli
- Grind moong sprout and spinach together to a smooth paste.
- In a bowl take semolina.
- Add the moong sprout and spinach paste and yogurt.
- Mix them well. Add salt, asafoetida and soda and mix them well gently.
- Cover and keep aside for 15 minutes.
- Fill the batter in the greased idli molds.
- Put the mold in the steamer filled with water and cover and cook for 8-10 minutes.
- Remove from the steamer. Brush it with oil.
- Remove from the molds and serve it with chutney of your choice.