Sukhi palak moong dal/Spinach mung dal fry is a very simple, quick and easy dish. It is the healthy way to get both greens and proteins in a dish. It is made dry and the moong dal is cooked soft but not mushy. It is very light on the stomach and goes well with bhakri, paratha, chapati, chawal ki roti or with plain rice and Gujarati kadhi. It is suitable for Vegan diet.
Sukhi Palak Moong Dal/ Spinach Mung Dal Fry
- 1 cup split moong dal (yellow). Wash and soaked for one hour
- 250 g spinach washed and chopped
- 1 tbsp oil
- 1/2 tsp mustard seeds rai
- 1/2 tsp cumin seeds jeera
- 1/4 tsp asafoetida hing
- 1 dry red chili
- 1 inch cinnamon stick
- 2 cloves
- 1 tsp ginger garlic paste
- 1/2 tsp turmeric powder haldi
- 1 tsp red chili powder if you want more spicy, you can add green chili paste or finely chopped green chili
- 1 tsp corainder cumin seed powder dhania jeera powder
- 1/2 cup water
- salt to taste
- Heat oil in a pan. Add mustard seeds, cumin seeds, cinnamon stick, cloves, dry red chili, and asafoetida. Let them crackle.
- Add washed and chopped spinach to it. Saute it for a couple of minutes.
- Once the spinach starts to soften, add turmeric powder and ginger garlic paste. If you want you can add chopped or crushed green chili. Saute for two minutes.
- Add coriander cumin seed powder and red chili powder and saute for a minute.
- Add the soaked yellow moong dal with water. Add salt as per taste. Mix well. Let it come to boil.
- Reduce the heat to medium and cover and cook the moong dal. Stir in between.
- After 10-15 minute, the moong dal will be soft and cooked. Open the lid and cook the dal uncovered for a minute or till the water is dried. The moong dal should be cooked soft but not mushy.
- Serve the sukhi palak moong dal with hot chapati, bhakri, paratha, chawal ki roti or with plain rice and gujarati kadhi.