Bajra Jowar Dhebra / Pearl Millet Sorghum Flatbread is a traditional flat bread made in Gujarat with combination of bajra, jowar and wheat flour. It is spiced with ginger garlic, pickle masala, sugar, yogurt and salt. Curd and sugar gives dhebra the sour and sweet taste and curd gives softness to the dhebra. Pickle masala enhances the taste of the dhebra. The dhebra can be served hot with yogurt seasoned with salt and roasted cumin powder, dry garlic chutney, pickle chili for a simple breakfast, light lunch or dinner or apply butter on it and pack for your kids lunch box. The dhebra can stay for couple of days and are a good option to carry while travelling.
My mother in law (Geeta Shah) made this dhebra frequently for us when she was her in Sydney. We would enjoy this healthy and delicious dhebra for break fast or dinner. She would make a few extra so that we can enjoy them the next day with a cup of tea on morning or evening. My son (Aarav) would loves to take them in his lunchbox to school with jam or butter.
So friends do make this healthy dhebra for your family and friend and please do share your feedback with me.
Khao dilse, khilao dilse aur banao dilse…
Bajra Jowar Dhebra / Pearl Millet Sorghum Flatbread
- mixing bowl
- rolling pin
- rolling board
- flat pan
- 1 cup pearl millet flour bajra atta
- 1 cup sorghum flour jowar atta
- 1 cup wheat flour
- 1/2 tsp turmeric powder haldi
- 1 tsp carom seeds ajwain
- 1.5 tsp pickle masala or 1tsp chili powder and 1/2 tsp fenugreek powder
- 1/2 tsp asafoetida hing
- 2 tbsp oil
- 2 tbsp ginger garlic paste
- 1/2 cup yogurt curd or dahi
- 1/2 cup water (I have used whey water left from the paneer I made)
- 2 tsp sugar
- 21 tsp oil for roasting dhebra
- salt as per taste
- In a mixing bowl add bajra atta (pearl millet flour), jowar atta (sorghum flour), wheat flour, oil, turmeric powder, asafoetida, pickle masala, ginger garlic paste, carom seeds. (If you do not have pickle masala then add red chili powder and fenugreek powder).
- Add yogurt.
- Mix well with your finger tips.
- Add sugar and salt.
- Gradually add water and start to knead into a soft dough.
- Smoothen the dough.
- Now divide the dough into equal size ball. Take one ball. Flatten it. Put the flatten ball on the rolling board. Dust wheat flour on it.
- With the help of a rolling pin gently start rolling into a 15 cm diameter circle with a thickness of 2 mm.
- The rolled dhebra is ready.
- Genlty put the dhebra on a heated and greased flat pan.
- Flip after a minute. Apply 1/2 tsp of oil over it.
- Flip again and apply 1/2 tsp of oil on it.
- Press and cook the dhebra on medium heat till golden.
- Similarly flip and cook on another side.
- The dhebra is ready. Remove in a plate and serve. Similarly prepare remaining dhebra.
- Serve the hot dhebra with yogurt seasoned with salt and roasted cumin powder, dry garlic chutney, pickle chili for a simple breakfast, light lunch or dinner or apply butter on it and pack for your kids lunch box.
2 thoughts on “Bajra Jowar Dhebra / Pearl Millet Sorghum Flatbread”
Healthy nd tasty tradisional recipe, favourite of all gujarati.