Chawli Masala / Lobia Curry / Black Eye Bean Curry is a simple and quick curry made in a pressure cooker by cooking soaked black eye bean along with onion, tomato, ginger garlic paste and regular Indian spices. Addition of sambhar masala gives a different flavor and aroma to the dish. The curry is vegan, protein rich and can be enjoyed with roti, bhakri or rice or add some chopped tomato, onion, green chutney , sev to it and serve as a healthy breakfast or chat.
We had this curry with kathiyawadi whole wheat biscuit bhakhari. I had learnt this simple tip from my mother (Rekha Ramolia). She would give a different taste to the regular subji or curry by adding different spices such as sambhar masala, chole masala, pavbhaji masala etc. She always adds sambhar masala when she makes chawli masala or whole masoor dal. She gives a twist to her regular cauliflower subji by adding pavbhaji masala to it. So such simple things gives a different taste to the dish.
My son enjoyed a the chawli masala and bhakri in the form of pizza.
I made tava pizza for him on the bhakri with the topping of chawli masala and cheese.
So friends do try out this simple and quickly made chawli masala and please do share your valuable feedback with me..
Khao dilse, khilao dilse aur banao dilse…
Chawli Masala / Lobia Curry / Black Eye Bean Curry
- pressure cooker
- 1 cup black eye bean chawli/ lobia, washed and soaked for 6 hours
- 1 tbsp oil
- 1/2 tsp mustard seeds rai
- 1/2 tsp cumin seeds jeera
- 1/4 tsp asafoetida hing
- 10 curry leaves
- 1 tsp ginger garlic paste
- 1 big onion finely chopped
- 1 tomato washed and finely chopped
- 1/2 tsp turmeric powder haldi
- 1 tsp red chili powder
- 2 tsp coriander cumin powder dhana jeera powder
- 1/2 tsp sambhar masala or garam masala
- 3 cup water plus around 1/2 cup more if required to adjust the consistency of the curry
- salt to taste
- Wash and soak the black eye bean/ chawli / lobia for 6 hours in water.
- Heat oil in a pressure cooker pan. Add mustard seeds, cumin seeds and let them crackle. Add asafoetida and curry leaves and saute.
- Add the chopped onions, some salt and mix well.
- Saute till the onions are translucent. Add the ginger garlic paste and saute for 30 seconds.
- Add the chopped tomatoes. Saute till the tomatoe soften.
- Add spices – turmeric powder, red chili powder, coriander cumin powder, sambhar masala. (You can add garam masala in place of sambhar masala). Saute the spices till aromatic.
- Add the soaked black eye bean/ chawli/ lobia alongwith the water. Add additional water if needed. The total water should be around 3 cups.
- Add salt and mix well.
- Close the pressure cooker lid with whistle and pressure cook the black eye bean for 4-5 whistles on high heat and 2 on low heat. (If you want the black eye bean to be less soft then cook for 2-3 whistle on high heat and 1 on low).
- Let the pressure cooker cook by itself. Remove the whistle and open the lid. The black eye bean/chawli/lobia is cooked.
- Stir gently the curry. Add water to adjust the consistency.
- Add chopped coriander and mix well. Simmer the curry for 5-7 minutes. Mash some black eye beans with spoon if you want to thicken the gravy.
- The chawli masala / lobia curry/ black eye bean curry is ready to serve.
- Remove the chawli masala / lobia curry/ black eye bean curry in a serving bowl. Garnish with coriander and serve hot with roti, bhakri or rice.
- I have served the chawli masala / lobia curry/ black eye bean curry with kathiyawadi wheat flour biscuit bhakri, dry garlic chutney and date nut rolls for a simple lunch.
- I have made chawli masala bhakri pizza on tava for my son.