Creamy Honey Pumpkin Gelato is a quick, healthy and easy dessert made by combining fresh pumpkin puree, milk powder, and honey together. It is flavored with cinnamon and vanilla essence. The gelato is creamy and melt in mouth and is a perfect healthy treat for the sweet cravings. It can be enjoyed in any season.
I have learnt this delicious recipe from my Japanese friend Chika. She is a very good cook and loves to make healthy food using the best ingredients. She never compromises on the quality of ingredients and wants to use always the best available . We always share our lunch at work with each other. So one day she brought this creamy pumpkin gelato for dessert for us at work. It was super yummy and irresistible. I was super impressed with the texture of the gelato and how quickly it can be made .
I always enjoy healthy cooking and making this creamy honey pumpkin gelato was on my wish list from then. Finally I made the recipe and Mithil and Aarav loved it.
To make this creamy honey pumpkin gelato you do not need any fancy equipment or blenders. You just need to mix all the ingredients with a hand whisk or hand blender and put the mixture to freeze. (Mithil and I finished some pumpkin mixture before freezing. It was delicious and that gave me an idea that I can also refrigerate and serve this pumpkin mixture as pudding into a small dessert cups).
Addition of milk powder gives a creamy texture to the gelato and hence no further cooking is needed. Pumpkin is creamy and sweet by itself and milk powder also has some sugar. Hence there is no need to add extra sugar to the gelato. I have added little honey for the flavor and some extra sweetness. Cinnamon pairs up well with pumpkin and so I have used it to flavor the gelato. You can used nutmeg, mixed spice or cardamom to flavor the gelato.
You can also add some cocoa powder if you want to make chocolate flavor pumpkin gelato.
Just before serving remove the freezed gelato container and let it set for 10-15 minutes at room temperature. This will soften the gelato and it will be easy to scoop out.
You can drizzle some honey or caramel sauce or chocolate sauce on the gelato before serving. I have drizzled some honey .
If you have pumpkin puree ready then you just have to mix all the ingredients and there is no cooking needed. So you can do this activity with the kids and they will enjoy it.
We can make varieties of gelato with the above recipe replacing the pumpkin puree with purees of different fruits and veggies such as strawberry, mango, coconut, chickoo, dates, fig, and custard apple. I have however not tried making them. But I will share the recipe of the same once I have tried making them.
Friends I am sure you will try this easy and quick dessert for your family and friends. Please do share your valuable feedback with me.
Khao dilse, khilao dilse aur banao dilse….
Creamy Honey Pumpkin Gelato
- pressure cooker
- potato masher
- stick blender
- plastic container with lid to set the gelato
- measuring cup
- 500 g pumpkin peeled, washed and cubed
- 4 cup milk powder I have used full fat milk powder
- 2 tbsp honey You can add some extra honey if you need more sweetness
- 1 tsp cinnamon powder
- 1 tsp vanilla essence
- 1 cup water
- Put the peeled, washed and chopped pumpkin cubes into the pressure cooker pan with water.
- Cover the lid of the pressure cooker with whistle and cook for 4 whistles. Remove from the heat and let the pressure cooker cool by itself.
- Remove the whistle and open the pressure cooker lid. Transfer the cooked pumpkin into a strainer and let keep aside for 30 minutes so that all the excess water is drained. (This water can be used to make soup or knead dough or dal or rice as stock).
- Put the strained pumpkin back into the pressure cooker pan and mash it into smooth puree with the help of a potato masher.
- Add milk powder, honey, cinnamon and vanilla essence. Mix well.
- Use a hand whisk to blend everything to a smooth puree.
- Or you can blend with a help of a stick blender or mixture grinder to a smooth paste.
- Transfer the blended mixture into a food grade, freezer safe plastic container. Cover with a lid and freeze for 8 hours.
- The pumpkin gelato is set well. Before serving remove the gelato container out for 10 -15 minutes and then with the help of ice cream scoop spoon remove the gelato into a serving bowl.
- Serve creamy honey pumpkin gelato in a serving plate and garnish with wafer biscuit and mint.
- You can also drizzle some honey on it.