Eggless Chocolate Scones are the variation to the traditional Irish baked scones. Cocoa powder is added along with flour and cream to give it a chocolatey flavor. They are dense then cake or muffin and soda water is used to raise it. They are a good treat with tea for your morning or afternoons and can be served with some melted chocolate. They can be refrigerated for a week of freezed for couple of months. Just warm before serving.
I had shared with you the detailed recipe of making whole wheat cream scones using cream.
Highlighting again the important points to make flaky scones:
After mixing the heavy cream and milk to the sifted flour mixture, just gently bring them together with a flat spatula. Then transfer the mixture to the working surface dusted with flour and with your hands gather the mixture gently to form a mass. Do not knead it like making a dough for bread.
Lamination of dough – After the dough is gathered like a mass, pat and spread it gently to form a rectangle. Then fold from one edge to the middle and similarly fold another edge to the center. Fold as if you are wrapping something. Turn the folded dough. Now again pat and spread it to make a rectangle and again fold both the edges to the center. Again turn the dough repeat the above procedure for one more time. This is known as laminating the dough. It is often practiced while making puff pastry or croissant. This helps in getting flaky layers in the pastry. So if we use it while making scone, it would bake up lighter and rise up well. I follow this procedure and the result is good scones.
After this pat and press the dough into a rectangle. It should be kept thick. It can then be cut into pieces with a knife or cut using cutter. The cutter should be immersed in flour before using it as this helps in removing the cut scone easily without twisting it. Twisting the flour again would inhibit the rise of scone.
I hope you follow the recipe and make these yummy scones and share your feed back with me.
Khao dilse, khilao dilse aur banao dilse…
Eggless Chocolate Scones
- mixing bowl
- flat mixing bowl
- measuring cup
- Baking tray
- baking paper
- 1.33 cup all purpose flour it is 1 and 1/3 cup.or self raising flour
- 1.33 tsp baking powder it is 1 and 1/3 tsp. avoid adding baking powder if using self raising flour
- 1/3 cup cocoa powder
- 1/2 cup sugar I had used raw sugar
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 150 ml cream
- 120 ml soda water I had used cocoa cola (If you do not prefer adding aerated water then you can add milk)
- 1/2 cup all purpose flour if needed extra if the dough is sticky while kneading and to dust while shaping
- Sift the dry ingredients – all purpose flour, baking powder, salt and cocoa powder.
- Add sugar and mix well.
- Make a well in the center of the bowl or mixing plate.
- Add the cream and soda water ( I had used cocoa cola) to it. Mix together with spoon.
- Now bring the mixture together with your hands but do not knead it.
- Dust the kitchen counter and put the mixture on it. Gently pat and spread the mixture to form a rectangle.
- Dust again with some flour. Now fold in from edge to center from one side. We are laminating the dough. It is like we do for making puff pastry sheets or croissant. lamination of dough will help in getting good flaky layers.
- Fold similarly from the other edge to the center. Again press and spread the mixture to form a rectangle and repeat the process of folding the edges to center as above. Repeat this for one more time. Folding the edges helps into getting layered and flaky scones
- Now after folding two – three times, pat and press gently to form a rectangle of 5 cm thickness.
- Dust the flour if sticky and with the help of a knife cut into 8 portions as shown.
- Place the scones in the baking tray lined with baking paper.
- Bake the scones @ 180 C for 20-22 minutes or till done. Insert the skewer and see if it comes out clean then the scones are done or keep for five more minutes and then check. The scones have risen so well.
- Drizzle some chocolate sauce or icing sugar on it and serve straight from the oven. I had use the store brought Hersey's chocolate sauce. (You can melt the chocolate and drizzle on the scones). The scones can be enjoyed with a cup of tea or coffee straight from the oven. They can be stored in an air tight container for 2-3 days at room temperature in cold climate or refrigerate for a week.
1 thought on “Eggless Chocolate Scones”