Besan Chutney / Chickpea Flour Curry (Sauce) is a popular no onion, no garlic accompaniment served with Gujarati snacks such as khaman, dhokla, fafda,chorafali, batata na vada, gota or bhajiya. It has curry like consistency and chickpea flour is cooked with water and balanced with sweet and sour taste. This is a quick to make sauce at home and is gluten free and vegan.
Please do try this delicious and quick and easy recipe and share your feed back with me.
khao dilse, khilao dilse, aur banao dilse…
Besan Chutney / Chickpea Flour Curry (Sauce)
- mixing bowl
- small wok or pot
- 6 tbsp chick pea flour
- 3 cup water or more if needed to adjust the consistency . You can also add butter milk . If using buttermilk skip adding lemon juice.
- 1.5 tbsp oil I had used peanut oil
- 1/2 tsp mustard seeds rai
- 1/4 tsp asafoetida hing
- 1/4 tsp turmeric powder haldi
- 2 green chili finely chopped
- 8 curry leaves
- 1 tbsp coriander leaves finely chopped
- 4 tsp sugar
- 1 tbsp lemon juice
- salt to taste
- In a bowl take chickpea flour.
- Gradually add water and mix with a whisk to make a lump free mixture.
- Add water and mix well and keep aside.
- Heat oil in pan. Add mustard seeds and let it crackle. Add asafoetida, curry leaves, chopped green chilies. Saute well.
- Add turmeric powder.
- Add the chickpea flour water mixture and start stirring quickly with a spoon or whisk. Add salt and sugar.
- The mixture will start to thicken after three to four minutes.
- After 6-7 minutes the mixture is cooked. Add water if you need to adjust the consisitency. Add lemon juice and mix well. Add some chopped coriander and mix.
- The besan chutney is ready and remove in a bowl.
- Serve the besan chutney with your favorite snack like khaman, dhokla or fafda or batata vada.
- I had served the besan chutney with vateli dal na khaman and khaman ni chutney.