Eggless Fresh Coriander And Garlic Sunflower Shaped Pull Apart Bread is a bread shaped into a sunflower by stacking each layer of the rolled bread dough on top of each other. The layers are then cut into equal strips and each strip is twisted to look like a petal. A spread made with fresh coriander, garlic and butter is applied between each layer to give a good colour to the petals and taste and aroma to the bread. The bread can be tore and share and is a crowd pleaser and so is a good appetizer to be served with drink or soup or high tea. It is a great potluck dish and perfect to be packed for lunch boxes.
Bread making is fun for me and I also enjoy the art of making it. I like to shape breads into different shapes and bake them. Making sun flower shaped bread was on my wish list since long after I had posted my nutella flower whole wheat bread.
It was a weekend and we were invited at my friend’s (Kavita Mahidadia) place for dinner. I had a bunch of fresh coriander in my fridge. When I woke up in the morning I cleaned and washed the coriander to make chutney. But then I thought that I should use the fresh coriander to make the coriander garlic butter and then use it to make the sunflower shaped bread. Sunflower shaped bread is like a pull apart or tear and share bread and is hence perfect to be served for a party as an appetizer.
Kavita’s husband (Ashesh) was going to make strawberry daiquiri and I thought the bread would be a perfect appetizer to be enjoyed with the chilled drink.
The entire process of making and baking bread along with the coriander garlic butter took me around 2.5 hours. The aroma of the fresh coriander, garlic and butter released while baking was heaven and salivated our taste buds.
I could only click few pics of the final dish . Kids could not stop the irresistible aroma and just started to pull a piece each.
The bread is so soft and perfect in texture!!
Yeh dil mange more!!
We enjoyed the bread and drinks and then enjoyed the delicious Indian street food – pani puri and ragda pattice made by Kavita for dinner.
So friends I have explained in detail of how to knead the bread dough, how to shape bread and how to make coriander garlic butter. Friends please do try your hands on bread art and please share your reviews and pictures with me.
Khao dilse, khilao dilse aur banao dilse…
Eggless Fresh Coriander And Garlic Sunflower Shaped Pull Apart Bread
- big bowl
- Mixing plate
- small bowl x 2
- rolling pin
- butter paper
- Baking tray
- mini bowl or glass or cutter or lid
- 2 cup whole wheat flour
- 2 cup all purpose flour maida. (keep aside 1/2 cup to mix later)
- 4 tsp instant dry yeast (two sachet of 7 gm)
- 1 tbsp sugar I have used raw sugar
- 2 tbsp milk powder
- 1 tsp salt
- 1/4 cup yogurt curd / dahi . I have used homemade curd
- 4 tbsp oil I have used olive oil or use any flavorless oil
- 1 cup water lukewarm. Microwave for 40 seconds or heat in kettle for 40 C
- 1/2 cup milk lukewarm. Microwave for 40 seconds or heat in kettle for 40 C
- 1 tbsp milk for brushing
- 1 tsp oil for greasing bowl
- all purpose flour for dusting
Coriander garlic butter
- 2 cup coriander washed and roughly chopped
- 10 clove garlic chopped
- 4 tbsp salted butter
- 1/2 tsp lemon juice
- 2 green chili chopped or as per spice level needed
- salt as per taste
- 1 tbsp water if needed to crush
To brush and sprinkle on top
- 1 tbsp coriander garlic butter
- 1 tbsp mixed herbs
- 1/2 tbsp chili flakes
- 1 tbsp nigella seeds kalonji or black sesame seeds
Mayo Garlic butter dip
- 2 tbsp mayonnaise I have used nando's perinnaise (peri peri mild)
- 2 tbsp coriander garlic butter
- In a bowl take lukewarm water. (I prefer boiling it at 40 C in the kettle or microwave for 40 sec or just lukewarm to touch if heating on a stove top). Add sugar and mix well till it dissolves.
- Add the instant dry yeast. Mix well. Cover and keep aside for 10 minutes to activate the yeast in a warm place. (I have placed the bowl in microwave).
- In a mixing bow add whole wheat flour, all purpose flour, salt, milk powder, yogurt and 2 tbsp of olive oil.
- Mix well.
- After 10 minutes, the yeast is activated and risen and frothy. (This shows that the yeast is fresh and good for using).
- Now add the activated yeast mixture and mix well with spoon or hands.
- Add milk and mix well.
- Now with hands mix everything well. The dough will be too sticky. Knead for around 10 minutes with your hands. This process is very important to create the gluten in the dough. (knead the dough in vertical direction with help of your palms and then bring it together and knead again in vertical direction for 10 min. )
- The dough will be sticky and after 7-8 minutes will start coming together as shown. Add some flour to it if more sticky and knead. Add a tbsp of oil and knead again for 2-3 minutes.
- The dough will come together as shown.
- Add a tbsp of oil and knead till smooth.
- The dough will become smooth and elastic such that when pressed with your fingers, the dough will rise back.
- Now grease a big deep bowl with oil and place the kneaded dough in it. Cover with lid or clingwrap or a damp kitchen towel and keep it for 1 hour in a warm place for 1st proving. ( I have kept in the microwave )
Coriander Garlic Butter
- In a mixer grinder or chopper or food processor, add washed and chopped coriander, chopped garlic, chopped green chili, salt and lemon juice.
- Crush everything coarsely as shown. (Add a tbsp of water if needed to crush). The coriander garlic paste is ready.
- Remove in a bowl. Add 4 tbsp of softened salted butter.
- Mix well. The coriander garlic butter is ready. This can be used to make chutney sandwich, brush on naan or kulcha. If you have leftover you can freeze it.
Rolling and shaping bread
- After 1 hour, the dough will rise and become double in size.
- Punch the bowl with your fist to remove air bubbles as shown.
- Take the flour and roll it in the shape of a log as shown.
- Cut it into four equal parts.
- Now make them into balls and flatten them.
- Take a butter paper and place one flatten ball over it. Dust it with flour.
- Roll it into a approximately 8 inch circle of 5 mm thickness with a rolling pin. Or with a help of a round cutter or plate or a container as shown mark a circle on it as shown.
- Spread 1 tbsp of the prepared coriander garlic butter evenly with a spoon or butter knife. Sprinkle some mixed herbs and chili flakes. Keep aside. This is the first layer.
- Similarly roll another circle of same diameter and thickness as above.
- Gently placed it on the first layer as shown. This is second layer.
- Spread the prepared coriander garlic butter on the second layer. Sprinkle some mixed herbs and chili flakes . Similarly roll the third ball into cirle and gently place it on the second layer. This is third layer. Spread the third layer with prepared coriander garlic butter, mixed herbs and red chili flakes.
- Now roll the fourth ball into a 10 inch diameter approximately. It should be more in diameter than the previous layers. Gently place it on the third layer and cover the sides with the excess outer edge as shown and seal the bottom well by pressing the outer edges.
- Now take a small container or bowl or glass or lid of approximately 4 cm diameter and place it on the center of the layer as shown. Cut into four equal parts as shown.
- Now cut further into 4 parts to make 8 equal parts as shown.
- Now cut again into 8 equal parts as shown to make together of 16 parts.
- Lift each part gently and twist as shown.
- Remove the bowl and sprinkle nigella seeds and mixed herbs as shown. It will make the sunflower seeds. Cover with cloth and keep it to prove for 20 minutes. In the meanwhile preheat the oven to 200 C
- After 20 minutes, brush the sunflower shaped bread with milk.
- Place the bread along with butter paper on the baking tray or grill and bake for 20-25 minutes at 200 C.
- Remove from the baked bread from the oven. Brush it with the prepared coriander garlic butter. (If you do not have any prepared coriander garlic butter left then brush with the regular salted butter).
- Prepare mayo coriander garlic dip – In a bowl take 2 tbsp of mayonnaise. I have used nando's perinaise mild sauce ( it is mayonnaise flavored with onion, chilies).
- Add 2 tbsp of prepared coriander garlic butter to it.
- Mix well . The mayo coriander garlic dip is ready to serve. Keep refrigerated. It can be a delicious spread to make wraps, burgers, or sandwiches.
- Serve the eggless fresh coriander and garlic sunflower shaped pull apart bread with mayo coriander garlic dip or ketchup.
- Kids can't wait to pull apart their share of bread while I am still taking photographs.
- The layers and nets of the bread can be seen after it is torn.
- It is a perfect appetizer with a chilled drink/mocktail or coctail or even soup.