Eggless Wholewheat Spinach Bread is a made healthy and nutritious by adding spinach puree to the the bread dough while kneading. The bread gets a beautiful green colour and additions of oats to the top makes the bread slices look more attractive and healthy. The bread is super soft, moist and is perfect to eat plain or toast with butter or to make sandwiches for the lunch box. The bread can be refrigerated for couple of days or can be freezed for a month.
This recipe can make a big bread loaf pan of two small loaves from a 8″ bread pan. You can make around big size burger buns or small 40 cones.
I have used the remaining dough to make two burger buns and I have pressed remaining dough on a steel cone and baked it to make a bread cone.
I had made bread, bun and cone. We had enjoyed the bread for breakfast. I loved the slice of bread toasted with butter with a cup of tea. I had packed burger for my son’s (Aarav) and husband’s (Mithil) lunch box. I had freezed some left over slices and the cone for a week.
Aarav enjoyed his morning breakfast by putting scrambled eggs with mushrooms in the spinach bread cone. Similarly you can also fill paneer bhurji or spiced potato or corn in it and serve for your next party as an appetizer
I enjoyed my open bread sandwich with veggie patty.
So friends making your own bread at home is so much fun and you can try out different variations too. For eg. you can add beet root puree in place of spinach puree to make beetroot bread or add any fresh herbs to make herb bread or flavor the bread with different seeds or flour or spices.
Other bread recipe:
Friends do try this healthy recipe at home and do share your reviews with me.
Eggless Wholewheat Spinach Bread
- small bowl with lid
- big mixing bowl with lid
- flat kneading deep plate
- measuring spoon and cups
- bread loaf pan
- 3 cup whole wheat flour
- 1 cup all purpose flour maida
- 1 cup spinach puree at room temperature, I have washed and blanched the around 250 g spinach and then have blended to puree
- 2 tbsp milk powder
- 1 tsp salt
- 4 tsp instant dry yeast or 2 sachet of yeast of 7 gm
- 1 tbsp sugar
- 3/4 cup lukewarm water water at 40 C
- 4 tbsp olive oil or any flavorless oil
- 1 tsp oil for greasing the bread loaf pan
- 1 tbsp butter for brushing the baked bread
- 1 tbsp milk for brushing the bread before baking
- 2 tbsp quick oats to sprinkle on top of the bread
- 1/4 cup all purpose flour for kneading the dough if it is too sticky.
- In a bowl take lukewarm water. (I prefer boiling it at 40 C in the kettle or microwave for 40 sec or just lukewarm to touch if heating on a stove top). Add sugar and mix well till it dissolves.
- Add the instant dry yeast. Mix well. Cover and keep aside for 10 minutes to activate the yeast in a warm place. (I have placed the bowl in microwave).
- In a mixing bow add whole wheat flour, all purpose flour, salt, milk powder and 2 tbsp of olive oil. Mix well.
- Add spinach puree (it should be at room temperature). Mix well.
- After 10 minutes, the yeast is activated and risen and frothy. (This shows that the yeast is fresh and good for using).
- Now add the activated yeast mixture and mix well with spoon or hands.
- Now with hands mix everything well. The dough will be too sticky.
- Knead for around 10 minutes with your hands. This process is very important to create the gluten in the dough. (knead the dough in vertical direction with help of your palms and then bring it together and knead again in vertical direction for 10 min. ) The dough will be sticky and after 7-8 minutes will start coming together as shown. Add some flour to it if more sticky and knead. Add a tbsp of oil and knead again for 2-3 minutes.
- The dough will come together as shown. Add a tbsp of oil and knead till smooth.
- The dough will become smooth and elastic such that when pressed with your fingers, the dough will rise back.
- Now grease a big deep bowl with oil and place the kneaded dough in it. Cover with lid or clingwrap or a damp kitchen towel and keep it for 1 hour in a warm place for 1st proving. ( I have kept in the microwave )
- After 1 hour, the dough will rise and become double in size.
- Punch the bowl with your fist to remove air bubbles as shown.
- Take the dough on your kitchen top. Make it into a log. Now measure with length of the loaf tin. (I have a small 8" pan. So I can divide the dough into two parts and bake two loaves or if you have a big bread loaf tin you can use the entire dough). Remove the excess dough. ( I have used the excess dough to make burger bun and a bread cone).
- Now start rolling from one end of the flatten dough as shown.
- Roll into a log as shown.
- Lift dough and put it into a greased baking bread loaf pan.
- Sprinkle the quick oats on it. Brush with milk. Cover with a cling wrap or damp kitchen towel and keep it aside in a warm place for 45 minutes for second proving or rise.
- I have shaped into two big burger and shape one cone on the cone mould as shown. Sprinkle some sesame seeds on the burger bun. Brush bun and cone with milk. Cover and keep aside in warm place for second rise or proving for 45 minutes.
- After 45 minutes, the dough has risen well.
- With the help of the knife of toothpick make light slanting cuts or criss cross as shown. Brush with the milk .
- Bake in a preheated oven for 25 minutes at @200°C or till golden from top. Remove from the oven. (Bake bread, bun and cone together).
- Remove from the oven. Brush the top of the bread with butter to give a good glaze.
- Similarly brush buns and cone. Let them cool for 10 minutes.
- Unmould the bread gently on a wire mesh. Cover with a damp cloth and let it cool for 3-4 hours or overnight. (cover buns and cone with damp cloth and let them cool). (The top of the bread will be hard when removed from the oven but it will get soft after cooling).
- The bread is cool and ready to cut.
- Cut into even slices with a help of serrated knife.
- The eggless wholewheat spinach bread is ready to be served for the morning breakfast.
- The burger bun is cool and ready to cut.
- Cut the burger bun into halves.
- The soft spongy and healthy bread, bun and cone is ready to be toasted or to make sandwich or burger . (The bread can be freezed for a month and use as needed).
- You can fill the savory filling of your choice into the cone and serve as a breakfast, after schoolsnack or as a appetiser for the party.