Healthy Vegetable Fried Brown Rice is a quick, easy and delicious fried rice cooked with brown rice and lots of vegetables. Brown rice makes it high in fibre and low in GI. Different veggies increases the nutritional level of rice. This rice is a one meal dish and is perfect for a satisfying quick week night dinner and leftover can be packed for a healthy lunch boxes.
Brown rice is low in GI (Glycemic Index) . It is high in fibre and helps to lower cholesterol. So why not substitute this healthy rice to the regular rice in our daily diet.
Brown rice takes long time to cook as compared to the regular rice since it has fibrous bran layer and nutrient-rich germ layer on it which takes longer time to cook. Cooked brown rice is chewier in texture and has a nutty taste. At my home everyone prefer soft brown rice and hence I soak the brown rice in hot water for 30 minutes before cooking. Then I pressure cook the brown rice with salt and water for 5-6 whistles. So for 1 cup of brown rice, I add 3 cups of water and cook.
Alternatively you can also cook the brown rice in an open pot. To one cup of brown rice add around 3-4 cups of water and let it come to a boil. Now lower the heat and cover and cook the rice for about 20-25 minutes or till all the water is nicely absorbed. Switch off the heat and let it stand for 10 minutes. Open and gently fluff the rice with a fork.
There are also instructions on the packet of brown rice and you can follow them and cook too.
You can cook risotto , khichdi, fried rice, arancini ball , pattice, rice balls, idli, dosa, dhokla, rice pudding using brown rice.
So friends I hope you like the recipe of fried rice using brown rice and hope you all give it a try.
Please do share your feedback with me.
Khao dilse, khilao dilse aur banao dilse…
Healthy Vegetable Fried Brown Rice
- pressure cooker
- heavy bottom wok or pan
- small bowl
- 1 cup brown rice soak in hot water for 30 minutes
- 3 cup water
- 1 tbsp oil
- 8 clove garlic finely chopped
- 1 inch ginger peeled and finely chopped
- 1 green chili finely chopped
- 1 onion chopped
- 1 green capsicum chopped
- 1 red capsicum chopped
- 1/4 cup peas boiled
- 1/4 cup sweet corn kernels boiled
- 8 mushroom sliced
- 2 cup cabbage thinly shredded or sliced
- 3 tsp soy sauce
- 1 tsp red chili sauce
- 1 tsp black pepper powder or coarsely crushed
- salt as per taste
- Wash and soak the brown rice in hot water for 30 minutes. (Since brown rice takes longer to cook, i prefer soaking it in hot water).
- Pressure cook the soaked and drained brown rice with 3 cups of water and salt for 6-7 whistles. Let it cool and remove the whistle. Stir gently the rice with fork and losen. (Alternatively you can cook the brown rice in pot. Cook 1 cup of soaked brown rice with three cups of water and salt. Once the mixture starts to boil, cover and simmer on low heat for 20 minutes or till water is nicely absorbed and rice cooked). We at my home prefer softly cooked brown rice and hence i pressure cook it. (You can also follow the instruction of the packet of the brown rice and cook the method that suits you).
- Heat oil in a heavy bottom wok/ kadhai or pan on high heat. Add chopped garlic, ginger and chili. Saute well till golden. Add chopped onions.
- Add the chopped red and green capsicum and saute for 2 minutes on high heat.
- Add shredded cabbage.
- Saute on high heat till cabbage shrinks.
- Add sliced mushrooms and saute for a minute on high heat.
- Add boiled peas and corn. Mix well.
- Add the cooked brown rice, salt, black pepper coarsely grounded or powder and soy sauce.
- Mix well and add chili sauce. (Add as per the spice level needed. We prefer less spicy at home as my son was also eating it). Mix gently.
- Add baby spinach leaves or any chopped spinach. Toss gently and cook for a minute till spinach shrinks. The Healthy Vegetable Fried Brown Rice is ready to serve.
- Grease a small bowl with oil. Fill it with the fried brown rice. Gently press. Put the inverted serving dish on it. Flip. Gently remove the bowl and serve the brown rice hot.
2 thoughts on “Healthy Vegetable Fried Brown Rice”
Tasty nd healthy recipe,full of vegetables ,& high in fiber
Thank you so much!