Sev Usal / Spiced Dried Peas Curry / Gujarat Street Food is a popular street food from Gujarat (India). It is served hot by assembling the ragda (spiced dried green peas curry) with green coriander chutney, date tamarind chutney, onions , spicy tari (gravy made with garlic, red chili powder and oil), coriander and thick gram flour sev (fried noodles). It is a complete meal and is vegan and can be enjoyed as a complete meal for lunch or dinner or light evening snack. It can be made in big quantity and can be served as a party food. Since it is spiced and served warm sev usal becomes a warm food especially during cold winter nights.
Sev Usal / Spiced Dried Peas Curry / Gujarat Street Food
- pressure cooker
- wok or big pot with lid
- small frying pan for tadka /tempering
- small bowl
Gravy for usal
- 3 tbsp oil
- 1 tsp mustard seeds rai
- 1/2 tsp asafoetida hing
- 1/2 tsp turmeric powder haldi
- 3 small onion washed and fiinely chopped
- 2 tomato washed and finely chopped
- 1 tbsp garlic paste approximately 7-8 big cloves of garlic
- 1 tsp ginger chili paste paste made by grinding ginger and green chili together.
- 2 tsp coriander cumin powder dhania jeera powder
- 2 tsp red chili powder
- 1 tsp garam masala
- 3 cup water
- 1 tbsp lemon juice
- salt to taste
- 1/4 cup coriander washed and chopped
Cooking peas for usal
- Wash and soak the dried green peas in water for 8 hours or overnight.
- Cook the soaked dried green peas with water and salt in the pressure cooker for 5-6 whistles on high heat and 2 whistles on low heat.
Gravy for usal
- Heat oil in a pan. Add mustard seeds and when they crackle add asafoetida.
- Add the chopped onions and saute till translucent and soft.
- Add ginger garlic paste. Saute.
- Add chopped tomatoes. Add some salt.
- Cook till the tomatoes soften.
- Add spices – turmeric powder, red chili powder, coriander cumin powder and garam masala.
- Saute till the spices are fragrant and the oil starts to release from the sides of the pan.
- Add the pressure cooked dried green peas.
- Mix well.
- Now add water and salt and bring the mixture to boil on high heat.
- Simmer for 7-8 minutes on medium heat.
- Oil will start to float on the surface.
- Add chopped coriander and lemon juice.
- Mix well. The gravy for the usal is ready.
- In a bowl add coarsely crushed garlic. Add cumin seed powder and salt. Mix well.
- Heat oil in a pan. Add asafoetida and red chili powder.
- Add the crushed garlic mixture. Mix well.
- Add water to it and mix well.
- Boil for 3-4 minutes on medium heat.
- Remove the tari in the bowl. These tari can be refrigerated for a week and can be enjoyed with pav bhaji, misal, rice or pulao.
Assembling of usal
- Take a shallow bowl. Add half cup of the prepared green peas usal gravy in it.
- Add the 1 tbsp of date tamarind chutney, and 1/2 tbsp of tari in it.
- Add 1/2 tbsp of coriander chili green chutney, chopped onions, and 1 tbsp of tari.
- Sprinkle the usal sev, chopped coriander and serve the usal hot. You can have it plain or serve it with bun.