We all prefer eating something warm and cheesy on chilled winter evenings. Friends, winter has set in Sydney. It’s cold and chilly here!!
My friend and her husband (originally from Coorg, India) came over to our house with their son for a cup of tea. Her son and Aarav are schoolmates and so they wanted to play together. We thought the kids will have a good time playing and we will chat with a hot cup of tea. I thought of making grilled spinach and corn sandwich for the chilly evening.
Spinach goes well with corn. The taste is enhanced with the addition of garlic and onions and it becomes rich by creamy and cheesy white sauce.
The filling is very easy and quick to make. All you need to do is to saute garlic, onion, corn, and spinach and then add flour and milk to it to make the white sauce. In the end, add the cheese to the thickened mixture. I have added less cheese. To make it more cheesy add 1/2 cup of cheese. Add salt accordingly as the cheese already has salt. I have used more spinach as I wanted my filling to be packed up with it. You can instead use half the quantity of spinach. Since I avoid the white bread, I have used wholemeal bread. My son does not like corn and so I had added small paneer pieces for him and his friend. I had served kids sandwiches with hot mix tomato and veggie soup. I will share the recipe for the soup soon.
The sandwiches came out nice and crispy and we enjoyed them with a hot cup of tea and lots of chit-chats. A very good and warm evening spent together!!
Enjoy making this sandwich for your breakfast, snack, afternoon tea or a one-meal dish.
Grilled Spinach And Corn Sandwich
- 25 g butter
- 2 cloves garlic finely chopped
- 5 cup spinach washed and finely chopped. I prefer using more spinach in my sandwich . However you can use less if you want.
- 1 cup sweet corn boiled
- 1 small onion finely chopped
- 2 tbsp all purpose flour maida
- 2 cups milk i have used low fat milk
- 1 tsp red chili flake or as per the spice level required
- 1 tsp black pepper powder
- 1/4 cup cheese
- salt to taste
- 12 slice wholemeal bread you can use white bread too
- 12 tsp butter for applying while grilling
- green chutney to serve
- ketchup to serve
- Heat a pan. Put butter and let it melt. Add chopped garlic and saute for a minute.
- Add the chopped onion and cook till translucent.
- Add boiled corn and mix well.
- Add the chopped spinach and cook till it shrinks.
- Add flour (maida) and saute for 2 minutes.
- Add milk. Mix well .
- Add seasoning - salt, red chili flakes and black pepper powder. Mix well.
- Simmer and cook the sauce till it thickens stirring constantly.
- Once the mixture thickens, add the grated cheese and mix well.
- The spinach and corn filling is ready. Remove in the bowl and let it cool.
- Preparing sandwich- Take a slice of brown bread. Apply 2 tbsp of filling over it evenly.
- Cover with another slice of bread and apply butter over it. Similarly, make another sandwich.
- In the griller, place the buttered side of the sandwich facing the griller.
- Apply butter on the top slices.
- Grill and cook sandwich till golden and crisp in the griller. If you do not have griller or toaster you can cook on the flat pan.
- The sandwich is ready. Remove and cut diagonally.
- It looks so creamy and crispy.
- Serve it hot with chutney and ketchup.
Grilled spinach and corn sandwich