Kebab is an Arabic word. It is a dish in which small pieces of meat is cooked on skewers along with some cut vegetables like onion, tomatoes, bell peppers etc. These are then cooked on a grill or a barbeque. Sheekh Kebab is a dish where usually a mixture of minced meat (usually lamb) , garlic, chilli, some spices is thinly wrapped around the skewers and is grilled in a tandoor. The kebabs are crisp from outside and soft, moist, and juicy from inside. But now many variations of kebabs are made . They are made from different types of meat, seafood and also vegetables. These are popular during winter . They can be prepared in advance for any barbeque party and then can be cooked on a barbeque outside during the party. It can become a group activity in a party. They need to be cooked on a slow heat so that the spices taste well and mix with the mixture.
Today I am sharing with you my version of sheekh kebab and it is made of green winter vegetables. It is full of flavors and contains fresh winter vegetables such as green gram, spinach, fenugreek, fresh green garlic, mint and coriander. I have added paneer to it which really gives it a very smooth and melting-in-the-mouth effect.
With some pre-preparations done, these kebabs can rock the party. They are popular at my home and among friends too.
I generally do the pre-prepartion steps such as blanching and making spinanch paste; grinding the gram; boiling the green grams and making paste of it; washing and cutting finely all the other greens such as green galic, fenugreek leaves,mint and coriander.
This makes the process much simpler. They go well with any chutney, soup or salad.
Give it a sure try and your family will be in love with them. These Kebabs are diabetic friendly with all the fresh greens put in it and very rich in fibre and iron. they are best for growing kids too.
Hare Chane Aur Palak Ke Sheekh Kebab
- 250 gms green chana (if green chana is not available fresh then use the dry green chana and soak it for 8 hrs and then cook and useit)
- 100 gms cottage cheese grated
- 50 gms roasted gram powder
- 150 gms spinach Blanched and pureed
- 50 gms fenugreek leaves chopped finely
- 50 gms mint leaves chopped finely
- 50 gms green garlic chopped finely (if green garlic not available then use the regular garlic paste)
- 50 gms coriander leaves chopped finely
- 1 tbsp green chilli paste
- 1 tsp tandoori masala
- 1 tsp garam masala
- 1 tsp chaat masala
- 1 tsp dry mango powder
- 1 tsp kitchen king masala
- 1 tbsp kasuri methi crushed lightly with hands
- salt as per taste
- Take a bowl. Put the roasted gram powder, grated cottage cheese, green gram and spinach paste. (here i have grinded the green grams with spinach puree).
- Add all the dry masalas to it.
- Add all the fresh chopped green veggies (fenugreek, coriander, mint and green garlic) and kasuri methi (dry methi leaves).
- Mix them well.
- Apply a bit of oil on palm and take a small portion of the mixture in your hands and try to wrap thinly around the skewer.
- This way (as in the photo):
- Make the others in the same way. I have made some on candy sticks too because kids love that. They can be made in advance this way and kept in the fridge. just cling wrap them.
- Heat a non stick flat pan. Place the kebabs on it with the skewers and apply very little oil and cook them on a medium to low flame till golded and crisp.
- Sprinkle some chaat masala and tandoori masala on it and serve with green chutney, ketchup, beetroot and vegetable soup. I have served it with the coriander tomato chutney. Its recipe is listed in chutney and dip section.
2 thoughts on “Hare Chane Aur Palak Ke Sheekh Kebab (Green gram and Spinach kebab)”
Very nice recipe!!!!
a very healthy recipe. Thank you for sharing very healthy recipes. Keep on the good work!!