Instant Homemade Jalebi can be made anytime as it does not need any fermentation or any pre-preparation. Just make batter and sugar syrup, deep fry jalebi and soak them in sugar syrup. It can be made and enjoyed whenever you feel like eating. The jalebi is crisp, juicy and is flavored with cardamom and saffron. Turmeric and saffron is used to colour the jalebi. Jalebis can be stored for a week in refrigerator. Enjoy the jalebi hot or cold , with kesar milk for your breakfast or serve with rabri and impress your guests this festive season.
Jalebi is a popular Indian sweet and is enjoyed during different festivals. In Gujarat, during Dussherra, jalebi is eaten along with fafda (a savory deep fried and crisp cracker made from chick pea flour) and tea for breakfast in the morning. Jalebi is sweet and hence is a great combination with savory fafda. A big queue of people is seen in front of the sweet shops to buy jalebi and fafda. The sweet jalebis can be paired with any spicy or savory dish such as samosa or kachori and masala tea. Many places in North India, Jalebi is served with rabri (thickened flavored milk) or curd. Now a days, Jalebi and rabri stalls are popular dish in the Indian weddings.
Traditionally, jalebi is made by fermenting the batter made with all purpose flour and curd for 8-10 hours. The Jalebi batter is then put into a muslin cloth and is poured into the hot oil in spiral shapes and is deep fried till golden and crisp. The deep fried jalebi is soaked in the one string consistency sugar syrup. The jalebi is ready to enjoy hot or cold. The batter to make these jalebi need to be made a day ahead and kept for fermentation.
But what if you crave for jalebi and want to make it instantly? So I am sharing with you the recipe of making instant jalebi at home.
My son (Aarav) was born in India and hence he had enjoyed eating jalebi during festivals and weddings. His grandfather (Chetan Shah) would surprise him by bringing jalebi for him on his birthday. Jalebi is Aarav’s favorite and so of his nani (Rekha Ramolia).
When we moved to Sydney, he missed those jalebis. He will miss them on his birthday and festival of Dusshera. On this Dusshera morning, my son was sad and was missing his family in India. So to cheer him up, I thought of making Jalebi for him at home. So made this instant jalebi for him. The jalebi came out so well. They were crisp ,moist and juicy. I have shared them with my friends and they all loved the jalebis.
For Instant jalebi:
Make batter with all purpose flour and curd and add baking powder in it.
Prepare one string consistency sugar syrup.
Fill the batter in the squeeze bottle or piping bag and pour the batter in hot oil in spiral shape. Deep fry the jalebi till golden and crispy.
Soak the jalebi in sugar syrup for a minute and remove and enjoy the jalebi hot or cold.
The art of shaping the jalebi to spiral will come along with practice. Also the batter should not be thin. My batter became thin initially and hence the I could not pipe out perfect spiral of the batter. You can see in the picture below the shape of the jalebi. I added a little flour to the batter and then the jalebis came out in the perfect shape.
So do not worry, if your jalebi does not shape out well. They will come out with practice. Follow the measurements I have suggested the jalebis will come out well.
The batter should not be too thin
The oil for deep frying should be on medium heat. It should not be too hot or too cold. The oil should be moderate.
Fry jalebi on medium heat. Always use a flat pan to and fill only 1/4 height of oil in it to fry the jalebis.
The sugar syrup should be of one string consistency.
I have not used any artificial colours and flavors to make jalebi. I have added a pinch of turmeric and saffron strands to the batter to get nice yellow colour. I have also added saffron strands in the sugar syrup to impart more yellow color. Cardamom, saffron and rose water gives a nice flavor to the jalebi. I was very happy with the colour of the jalebi. I was so satisfied to see my son happy and enjoying the jalebi to the fullest.
So friends do make this instant jalebi for your loved ones at home and do share your feed back with me.
Khao dilse, khilao dilse aur banao dilse…..
Instant Homemade Jalebi
- mixing bowl
- whisker or spoon
- sauce bottle with thin nozzle
- flat bottom pan for deep frying
to make sugar syrup
- In a mixing bowl, add all purpose flour (maida), baking powder, turmeric powder or food colour, cardamom powder. Mix well.
- Add yogurt. (I have used homemade fresh yogurt).
- Mix well. Gradually add little water and start to make batter.
- Add saffron strands (You can also roast saffron strands in a pan on low heat and then powder it in mortar and pestle and use to get nice dark colour).
- Mix all water and make the batter. It is good to use a whisker to make a lump free batter. (you can also add baking powder after making the batter instead of adding it earlier).
- The batter should be nice dropping consistency as shown. (do not make the batter too runny as the jalebis will not hold the shape when the batter is dropped in oil for frying).
- I have used a sauce bottle (it is readily available in stores) or you can use piping bag or zip lock bag to drop and shape the jalebis in oil.
- Fill the batter in the bottle and put the lid.
Sugar syrup / Chasni
- Take sugar and water in a pan and put it to heat on medium heat.
- Let the sugar dissolve and the water come to boil.
- Let the mixture boil on medium heat for 8-10 minutes.
- Add saffron strands and cardamom powder and heat till the syrup gets one string consistency. (When you drop the sugar syrup with spoon, it will drop in a single string, that means the syrup is achieved one string consistency or put the syrup between your fingers and move the finger apart. A string of the syrup will be formed and so the sugar syrup has achieved one string consistency).
- Add lemon juice to avoid crystallisation of the syrup.
- Mix well keep the sugar syrup aside.
Deep frying jalebi, soaking in sugar syrup
- Add only oil in 1/4th height of the pan. Heat oil in a flat pan. (Flat pan is good for deep frying jalebi)
- Invert the sauce bottle and squeeze batter and start making jalebi from center to the end just like making spiral.
- Deep fry the jalebi on medium heat flipping both the sides till golden and crisp. The bubbles will be gone once the jalebi are cooked.
- Drain and remove the jalebi in the dish.
- Soak the prepared jalebi in the sugar syrup for 3o sec on each side. Drain and remove in a dish.
- Similarly make remaining jalebi.
- Garnish the jalebi with sliced pistachio and saffron strands.
- Serve the jalebi hot or cold. They are crisp and juicy. Enjoy the jalebi with milk at your breakfast, or serve it with cold rabri for a impressive dessert. The jalebi can be refrigerated for a week.