Vegetarian Lasagne is a one meal dish made by baking the lasagne sheet in a baking tray that are stacked on each other with alternate layers of vegetarian bolognese sauce made with tomato and soy granules, white sauce and cheese, ending with white sauce on the top last layer. Cheese is sprinkled on the top and then the dish is baked till cooked. It is then cut into single serving portions and served hot. The cooked vegetarian lasagne can be freezed upto three months.
Lasagne is made with meat (ground beef, pork or chicken) and sauces, cheese and vegetables. Soya granules or chunks are the best alternative replacement for meat. So I had made this vegetarian lasagne using the bolognese sauce made with soya granules and tomato. Here the minced meat is replaced with soya granules. I had shared with you earlier the recipe of vegetarian bolognese sauce. This sauce can also be used to make vegetarian spaghetti bolognese and vegetarian lasagne. I am again sharing with you the detailed pictorial recipe of making vegetarian bolognese sauce again.
For white sauce, I have used butter, whole wheat flour and milk. However mostly, I prefer using the healthy white sauce to make the recipe. The healthy sauce uses wheat flour, olive oil, bottle gourd or cauliflower puree and milk.
A good amount of cheese enhances the flavor of lasagne. You can use the cheese of your choice such as cheddar, mozzarella or parmesan. I had used the mixed of mozzarella, parmesan and cheddar cheese. You can also replace cheese with ricotta cheese or paneer for lighter version of lasagne.
Always remember, for a perfect lasagne, make sure that the lasagne sheets are completely covered with the bolognese sauce to retain a high level of moisture in it. Cover the baking tray with a aluminium foil before baking to prevent lasagne from drying.
It is a very good option for making for your potluck. You can assemble the lasagne sheet in a disposable aluminium tray available.
So friends do make this lasagne dish for a perfect Italian evening and enjoy with your loved ones and do share your feedback with me.
Khao dilse, khilao dilse aur banao dilse…
Vegetarian Bolognese Red Sauce
- 6 tomato nice red
- 1 cup soy granules
- 3 tbsp olive oil or any cooking oil
- 1 onion finely chopped
- 2 tbsp celery stalk and leaves finely chopped
- 2 garlic finely chopped
- 1 capsicum finely chopped, I have used red capsicum. You can use green capsicum
- 1 tsp mixed dry herbs
- 1 tsp black pepper powder
- 1 tsp paprika or red chili powder
- 170 g tomato puree
- 1/2 cup water
- 2 tbsp coriander washed and chopped finely. You can also use parsley if available
- salt as per taste
- 2 tbsp butter
- 2 tbsp wheat flour
- 2 cup milk
- 1/2 cup cheese shredded. (i have used mixed of mozarella, parmesan and cheddar cheese).
- 1 tsp black pepper powder
- salt as per taste
- 10 Instant Lasagna Sheet
- Vegetarian Bolognese Sauce
- White Sauce
- 1 cup cheese Shredded ( I have used mixed of mozarella, cheddar and parmesan cheese)
- 1 tbsp parsley dried to sprinkle
- oil for greasing the tray
- Boil water in a large pan. Criss Cross the tomatoes and put into the boiling water to boil for 5-7 minutes or till the skin peels out.
- Drain the water and remove the tomatoes.
- Remove and discard the skin of the tomatoes. Now chop the tomatoes finely or crush them.
- Boil the soy granules in around 3 cups of water for 5-7 minutes.
- Remove the soy granules in a strainer and remove water. Squeeze excess water from the soy granules once they are cold.
- Heat oil in a pan.
- Add chopped onion, garlic and celery. Mix well.
- Cook till the onions and celery stalk are translucent. Add chopped capsicum and cook till soft. (I prefer using red capsicum as it gives nice red colour. However you can use green capsicum).
- Mix well and cook capsicum till they soften. Add the drained soya granules and mix well.
- Add seasoning - mixed dry herbs, paprika, black pepper powder and salt. Mix well.
- Add the blanched and finely chopped tomatoes. Mix well.
- Add tomato puree.
- Mix well and add around 1/2 cup of water.
- Simmer the sauce for 6-8 minutes or till moisture is absorbed.
- Finally add chopped coriander. (use parsley of available).
- Mix well. The vegetarian bolognese sauce is ready to use.
- Remove the vegetarian bolognese sauce in a bowl and use to make vegetarian spaghetti bolognese or layered lasagne.
- Melt butter in a thick bottom pan.
- Once the butter is melted, add wheat flour.
- Cook for 2 minutes on medium heat. Mix and stir well with the help of a whisker.
- Switch off the heat and add milk. Stir well.
- Return to heat and stir the mixture until thick and smooth.
- Season with salt and pepper.
- Add the cheese , stirring over low heat until cheese melts.
- The sauce is thickened and smooth.
- Remove in a bowl.
- Grease a baking tray with oil.
- Put around 3-4 big spoons (or aound 1/2 cup) of the bolognese sauce.
- Put the Lasagne sheets over them. ( I has instant pre cooked lasagne sheet and hence I have used it directly. Alternatively you need to cook it in boiling water like pasta and use it).
- Cover the entire tray with bolognese sauce and lasagne sheet. (you can break them to adjust the sides of the tray as shown).
- Again spread around 1/2 cup of bolognese sauce on the top of lasagne sheet.
- Spread the white sauce over the bolognese sauce around 1/2 cup.
- Put lasagne sheet over the white sauce and spread again bolognese sauce over it. Cover the entire tray.
- Put white sauce over the bolognese sauce and spread. Sprinkle some shredded cheese over the white sauce layer.
- Cover again with the remaining lasagne sheet.
- Again like above spread bolognese sauce and white sauce .
- Sprinkle with generous amount of cheese on the top of the last layer. (the number of layers will depend on the size of the baking tray you use. The method is that you alternate layers of lasagna sheet, bolognese sauce, white sauce and cheese ending with white layer on top. Sprinkle with shredded cheese on top and bake).
- Cover the baking tray with aluminium foil. Bake the lasagne tray in preheated oven @ 180 C for 35-40 minutes.
- Remove foil and bake for 5 more minutes till the cheese on top is golden brown. (Keep the top grill on). The vegetarian lasagne is baked. Remove from oven and sprinkle some dry parsley on it and serve.
- Cut lasagne into pieces with a knife and remove gently and serve it hot. (You can cool the lasagne and then cut into pieces and freeze upto 3 months).
- Enjoy piping hot vegetarian lasagne.