Instant Khaman Dhokla is a very popular and irresistible Gujarati snack. It is a steamed cake savory cake made with chickpea flour (besan) and spices. It is a vegan, nutritious and healthy snack.
Traditionally, khaman is made by soaking the chana dal, grinding it coarsely and then fermenting it for 7-8 hours. Spices are then added to it nad the batter is steamed in a steamer.
Here is the quick way of making khaman dhokla that requires no grinding and fermentation. The khaman dhokla comes out spongy with an irresistible taste.
Few tips to help you make soft and spongy khaman.
Use fine chickpea flour (besan) without any lumps in it for preparing khaman (if you have time you can sift the flour to remove the lumps).
Adding sooji (semolina) to the batter will help get the coarse texture of khaman.
Always use fresh eno (fruit salt). If eno is not fresh it will make the khaman dense.
You can replace eno with baking powder and lemon juice with citric acid.
Beat the batter well till light and fluffy. Then always allow the batter to rest at least for 15 minutes.
Keep the steamer with water and the greased tin or plate to boil.
Once the steamer is ready, take the prepared batter and add eno to it. Add 2 tsp of water on eno. The bubbles will start to form. Now whisk the batter in one direction. (Do not whisk the batter vigorously). Once eno is mixed pour the batter in the greased plate/tin that is kept for steaming and steam the batter in the steamer. This action should be quick after the eno is mixed.
If these few points are kept in mind then I am sure the khaman dhokla will come out very well.
I have added a pinch of turmeric to the batter. This resulted in red spots after the batter was steamed. But you can skip adding turmeric to get plain yellow khaman dhokla.
Adding water while making tadka/tempering will help in soaking the khaman and make it softer. It is just like soaking the cake with sugar syrup. The sponge absorbs the water and makes the cake softer.
So friends what are you waiting for? Follow these easy steps and you can make the delicious khaman dhokla in less time. Also, friends pepkitchen appreciates your views and comments, so please share your feedback with us.
Instant Khaman Dhokla
- 1 cup chickpeaflour besan/gram flour
- 1.5 tbsp semolina sooji
- 3.5 tsp sugar
- 1/8 tsp turmeric powder optional
- 1 tsp ginger-green chili paste
- 1 tsp lemon juice
- 1.5 tsp eno fruit salt
- 1/4 tsp oil for greasing
- 2 tbsp oil
- 1 tsp mustard seed
- 1 tsp sesame seed
- 2 green chili slit
- 1/4 tsp asafoetida hing
- curry leaves few
- 2 tbsp coriander leaves washed and chopped
- 2 tbsp coconut fresh or dessicated
- 2 tbsp water
- 2 tsp water to put over the eno
- Take chickpea flour (besan) in a mixing bowl.
- Add semolina (sooji) to it.
- Add sugar to it.
- Add ginger green chili paste
- Add lemon juice.
- Add a pinch of turmeric (optional)
- Add salt.
- Mix all the ingredients well and then gradually add water to the mixture, stirring so that no lumps are formed.
- The batter should smooth and consistency as shown.
- Mix well and cover and keep aside for 30 minutes or 15 minutes at least.
- In the meantime grease the baking tin or a deep plate with oil.
- Put water in the steamer and heat it.
- Now after 30 minutes, mix the batter and then add the fruit salt or eno.
- Add 2 tsp of water on the eno. Bubbles will start to form.
- Now whisk the batter gently. The batter will start to rise.
- Be quick at this stage, immediately pour the batter into the greased plate. Tap it.
- Place the plate filled with the batter in the steamer and cover it and steam the batter for 15 minutes or until the toothpick inserted comes out clean.
- Remove the tin and let it cool for five minutes. The khaman has risen and has left the edges of the tin. (the reddish spot are due to turmeric)
- Invert the tin on a cooling rack.
- Prepare the tempering/tadka. Heat oil in a pan. Add mustard seeds, when it crackles add sesame seeds.
- Add green chili, curry leaves, and asafoetida.
- Add water to the tempering and let it boil for , a couple of minutes.
- Cut the khaman into squares or diamond. Pour the prepared tempering/tadka over the cut khaman. Garnish with chopped coriander and coconut.
- The khaman is ready to serve.