Koshimbir / Maharashtrian Style Salad is a refreshing salad made in Maharastrian household. A tempering made by crackling mustard seeds, green chili, curry leaves and asafoetida in hot oil gives a unique taste to the salad. The mouthwatering aroma from asafoetida, and green chili is released when the hot tempering is poured on the salad. Crushed roasted peanuts gives crunchiness to the salad. Different variations of koshimbir are made and served as an accompaniment in a traditional Maharashtrian thali. The salad is vegan.
Different variations in koshimbir can be made using different vegetables or combining them.
kakdi chi koshimbir (cucumber salad)
Gajjar beet chi koshimbir (Carrot / beet root salad)
Onion tomato koshimbir
Kairi chi koshimbir (raw mango salad)
mooli chi koshimbir (radish salad)
Some people also prefer adding fresh yogurt to the koshimbir in summers to help beat the summer heat.
The koshimbir stays well in lunch boxes and can be packed for a nutritious meal. You can enjoy a bowl of koshimbir as a mid morning snack or as a lunch with butter milk or sol kadhi.
Friends do try this delicious and unique salad and please share your reviews with me.
Khao dilse, khilao dilse aur banao dilse….
Koshimbir / Maharashtrian Style Salad
- mixing bowl
- small pan
- 1 tomato washed and finely chopped
- 1 cucumber washed, peeled and finely chopped
- 1 carrot washed, peeled and grated
- 1/2 onion peeled, washed and finely chopped
- 2 tbsp peanut Roasted and coarsely crushed
- 2 tsp sugar
- 2 tsp oil
- 1/4 tsp mustard seeds rai
- 1/4 tsp asafoetida hing
- 6 curry leaves washed and pat dry
- 1 green chili washed and slit lenght wise
- 1/4 cup coriander washed and finely chopped
- salt as per taste
- In a plate take chopped cucumber, tomato, onion, and grated carrot.
- Take everything in a bowl and mix well.
- Now add coarsely crushed roasted peanut powder, sugar, salt and chopped coriander.
- Mix well with a spoon.
- For tempering – In a small frying pan, heat oil. Add mustard seeds . When they crackle add slit green chili, curry leaves and asafoetida.
- Pour the hot tempering on the mixed salad.
- Mix well. Keep aside for 10 minutes or refrigerate if you want to serve it cool. The Koshimbir is ready to serve.
- Remove the koshimbir / Maharastrian Style salad in a bowl and serve with roti, subji, dal , rice for a complete meal.