Quinoa has been in demand in recent years. So, then, what is this “Quinoa”? Quinoa is a protein-packed grain and is the best alternative to starchy grains such as wheat and rice. It looks like a small bead similar to other millets or couscous. Quinoa is also a good source of iron, magnesium, vitamin E, potassium, and fiber.
Quinoa is very versatile and has a nutty flavor when cooked. It goes well with any ingredient. It is very easy to cook Quinoa. Quinoa seeds have a naturally bitter outer coating. So it is best to rinse and soak for 10 minutes prior to cooking. To cook 1 cup Quinoa: place the rinsed, soaked and drained quinoa with 2 cups of water in a saucepan and bring to boil. Reduce heat, cover pan and cook until all the water is absorbed. It will take approximately 15 minutes. Let it sit for 5 minutes. Fluff with a fork and serve.
My husband and I like to eat just salad for lunch once or twice a week. Salad helps to detoxify the body and we can get a good portion of veggies in it. We like to experiment and enjoy our salad with different ingredients.
I have shared earlier the recipe of Quinoa Masoor Salad/ Quinoa Whole Red Lentil Salad.
My today’s salad recipe includes quinoa, boiled corn veggies such as tomato, capsicum, cucumber, carrot. I have added red grapes. It gives nice taste and color. You can use green or black grapes too. I love adding nuts to the salads. I have added almonds and roasted salted peanuts. The dressing is made with olive oil, lemon juice, paprika powder, garlic powder, dried mixed herbs, salt, and pepper.
This salad is very good to be packed in lunch boxes for office or for a potluck or picnic. Just mix all the ingredients together and pack the dressing separately. While serving the salad mix the dressing and serve.
Do try this simple, quick and nutritious salad and enjoy it as a one meal dish. It is also good for gluten-free and vegan.
I will love to hear comments from you.
Quinoa veggie and corn salad
- 1/2 cup quinoa soaked and cooked
- 1/2 cup sweet corn boiled
- 1 big tomato washed, deseeded and chopped finely
- 1 small green capsicum washed and chopped finely
- 1 cucumber washed and chopped finely
- 1 carrot washed and chopped finely
- 1/4 cup red grapes washed and cut into halves
- 1 lemon juice
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 1 tsp paprika powder
- 1 tsp garlic powder
- 1 tsp black pepper powder
- 1/2 tsp dried mixed herbs
- 15 almonds chopped
- 15 peanuts roasted and salted
- 2 tbsp mint leaves washed and chopped finely
- salt as per taste
In a bowl add cooked quinoa. Add boiled sweet corn, carrot, cucumber, tomato, green capsicum.
- Mix well and add grapes, peanuts, almonds, mint leaves.
- Prepare dressing - In another small bowl add lemon juice, olive oil, salt, pepper, paprika, garlic powder, dried mixed herbs. Whisk them together. It will become thick and cloudy.
- When you want to serve the salad pour the dressing on the mixed ingredients. Mix them well. Quinoa veggie and corn salad is ready to serve. Serve immediately.