Simple Toor Dal/Phodni Cha Varan/ Arhar Ki Dal is a tasty, quick and easy to make dal. It can be made in 15 minutes and is made by tempering toor dal/arhar dal/split pigeon peas with garlic, curry leaves, and green chili. It is a very simple recipe for beginners and is vegan. Skip asafoetida to make it gluten free. The steaming hot dal can be enjoyed with steamed rice, roti and subji for a complete meal.
My mother (Rekha Ramolia) is Maharastrian from Nagpur. She makes this dal at home regularly. She would give the tadka to dal when my father (Lavji Ramolia) was about to arrive home for lunch from his office in the afternoon. The aroma of roasted garlic, curry leaves and green chili would fill the house when the dal is given tempering (tadka). He would enter the house smelling the dal and would appreciate the aroma of the dal. He would eat 3-4 katori (bowl) of dal at lunch. My husband (Mithil) is also now fond of this dal. When my mother visited us at Sydney, she would often make phodni cha varan for us. My husband and I would relish every bite of dal. Since my mother left Sydney, I am making phodni cha varan for us.
This time I thought of sharing the video of this simple toor dal with all of you. The dal is very quick and easy to make. It has very few spices and is enriched in flavors with the tempering made with garlic, curry leaves and green chili.
I am dedicating this video to my mother who is an amazing cook and a very talented painter. Love you mom. A very tight hug to you and miss you a lot!!
I hope you all enjoy watching this video. Do try out this simple recipe for your family and friends and do like, share and subscribe my channel.
Till then khao dilse, khilao dilse aur banao dilse!!
Simple Toor Dal/Phodni Cha Varan/ Arhar Ki Dal
- 1/2 cup toor dal split pigeon peas
- 1 tbsp oil
- 1 tsp mustard seeds rai
- 1 tsp cumin seeds jeera
- 1 star anise (optional)baadiya, chakri phool, star badishep
- 1/4 tsp asafoetida hing
- 4 cloves garlic finely chopped
- 10 curry leaves
- 2 green chili
- 1 dry red chili
- 1 small onion finely chopped
- 1 tomato finely chopped
- 1/2 tsp turmeric powder haldi
- 1 tsp red chili powder mirch powder
- 1 tsp coriander cumin powder dhania jeera powder
- 2 cup water
- 2 tbsp coriander washed and finely chopped
- salt to taste
- Wash the toor /arhar dal/ split pigeon peas for 2-3 times with water. Soak the dal for 2-3 hours in plenty of water.
- After 2-3 hours, pressure cook the soaked dal for 4-5 whistles on high heat and 2 whistles on low heat. (I have put the container of soaked dal in the pressure cooker along with water in the cooker and then have pressure cooked it).
- Once the pressure cooker cools down, remove the dal container from the cooker. Stir the dal with hand whisk till it is nice and smooth. You can also use a hand blender to make it smoother.
- Heat oil in a pan. Add mustard seeds and cumin seeds. When they crackle and splutter, add star anise. (star anise gives a very nice flavor the dish, however adding it is optional). Add asafoetida. Now add chopped garlic, curry leaves, green chilies and dry red chili.
- Saute the garlic till nice and aromatic.
- Add the finely chopped onion and little salt and saute till the onion is translucent and soft.
- Add chopped tomatoes and saute till they soften.
- Season the mixture with turmeric powder, red chili powder and coriander cumin powder. Saute the spices till they are nicely roasted.
- Add the cooked and mashed toor dal and mix well.
- Add water and salt.
- Bring the dal to boil for 2-3 minutes. (Do not boil the dal longer, it will lose it taste).
- Add chopped coriander and mix well and boil.
- The simple toor dal or phodina cha varan is ready to serve. Serve it hot with rice, roti and subj for a complete meal.
- Garnish with coriander and serve hot.
5 thoughts on “Simple Toor Dal/Phodni Cha Varan/ Arhar Ki Dal”
Very nice and tasty recipe easy to make for beginners….
Thank you so much!!
lovely and easy recipe video.
Great recipe, looks like so delicious.
Thanks for sharing with us.
Thank you so much!