Mexican Style Bean Rice is made by cooking rice with kidney beans, salsa sauce, mixed herbs, paprika and veggies. It is a one meal dish and perfect for lunch boxes, quick weeknight dinner, potluck or picnic. It is gluten free and vegan.
I have served rice with some corn chips and avocado dip. I have made avocado dip or raita by mashing 1/2 avocado and adding it to yogurt along with salt, roasted cumin powder and black pepper powder.
Do try this quick and delicious recipe and share your feedback with me.
Mexican Style Bean Rice
- 2 cup long grain rice cooked I have used basmati rice
- 1 cup red kidney beans washed, soaked and cooked. You can use the canned beans too.
- 1 onion finely chopped
- 1/2 green capsicum finely chopped
- 1/2 red capsicum finely chopped
- 1 carrot washed, peeled and finely chopped
- 2 mushroom chopped
- 5 clove garlic finely chopped
- 1 bay leaf
- 1 cinnamon
- 1 tsp cumin seeds jeera
- 1 dry red chili
- 2 tbsp oil
- 1/2 cup salsa sauce I have used store brought sauce
- 2 tsp ketchup
- 1 tsp tabasco sauce
- 1 tsp mixed herbs
- 1 tsp cumin powder jeera powder
- 1 tsp paprika
- 1/2 tsp black pepper powder
- 1/4 cup coriander washed and finely chopped
- salt as per taste
- Heat oil in a pan. Add bay leaf, cinnamon stick , dry red chili and cumin seeds.
- When the cumin seeds crackle, add chopped garlic and onions. Toss well.
- Add chopped red and green capsicum and carrots. Add little salt and cook till the veggies soften.
- Add chopped mushrooms.
- Add cooked kidney beans and mix well.
- Add seasoning - paprika, black pepper powder, mixed herbs and cumin powder. Mix well and saute the seasoning well.
- Add salsa sauce and mix well.
- Add ketchup and tabasco sauce. Mix well.
- Mix well and cook for a minute.
- Add the cooked rice and salt.
- Mix gently the rice.
- Sprinkle some more of mixed herbs (and red chili flakes for more spice). Mix well.
- Add chopped coriander and mix well. The Mexican style bean rice is ready to serve.
- To serve the rice, put the rice in a greased bowl. Press well and unmould in a serving plate sprinkled with paprika and mixed herbs. Sprinkle coriander and mixed herbs on rice and serve it with corn chips and avocado dip or avocado raita.