Sukhadi / Gur Papdi / Gol Papdi is a traditional Gujarati sweet made using whole wheat flour, jaggerry and ghee. The wheat flour is roasted well in ghee and then jaggery is added to it. The mixture is then set in the greased tray or dish and cut into pieces and served. The sukhadi is very quick and easy to make and is very nutritious snack for growing children. It can be made with just three ingredients that are usually available at home.
Sukhadi is also known as golpapdi. It is very easy and quick to prepare and is most commonly prepared during winters. It can be prepared and stored in the containers and can be consumed at any time of the day. Eat one or two pieces and you will be energized. It has a long shelf life.
The basic sukhadi is made of the above-mentioned three ingredients but you can enhance its flavor by adding sesame seeds, dry nuts or dry coconut. Also, some spices can be added during winters such as dry ginger powder, edible gum, nutmeg or cardamom powder. They will give warmth to the body.
You can pack it with you while travelling. It is the energy bar for kids who are active. It is a good option for a small break in the lunch box.
This Sukhadi can be made for any occassion and festival. Just enjoy the goodness of the multigrain sukhadi.
I also make sukhadi using different flours. I have shared the recipe of Multrigrain Sukhadi earlier.
Friends do try this simple and easy recipe and please do share your feedback with me!!
Khao dilse, khilao dilse aur banao dilse…
Sukhadi / Gur Papdi / Gol Papdi
- heavy bottom pan
- deep plate or tray
- 2 cup whole wheat flour I have used the regular wheat flour used to make chapati. You can also make sukhadi using bhakari flour or coarse wheat flour. In that case add additional extra 1/4th cup of ghee.
- 1 cup ghee clarified butter
- 1 cup jaggery grated
- 1 tsp ghee for greasing the deep plate or tray
- Heat ghee in a broad thick pan.
- It should be melted as shown.
- Add the wheat flour mixture to it.
- Mix it well and cook the flour mixture for 8-10 minutes on medium heat.
- The mixture will become light and will start releasing ghee after 6-7 minutes.
- The mixture will get dark and will release nice aroma of the roasted flour after 8-10 minutes.
- Remove the pan from the heat and set aside for minute to cool. Then add the grated jaggery to it. Mix well.
- Mix well till the jaggery is dissolved and mixed uniformly.
- Spread the mixture in the greased plate and smooth the surface with a spatula or the back of a flat greased bowl as shown.
- Smoothen the surface as shown.
- Cut into diamond pieces (or into squares) when warm. Keep aside to set for 30 minutes or more if needed. (I have cut into small diamond pieces as I had prepared it for Janmasthami and small pieces are good to share for prasad).
- With the help of a flat spatula, gently remove the cut pieces.
- Remove the pieces and serve. Or store in an airtight container at room temperature for about 15-20 days.
2 thoughts on “Sukhadi / Gur Papdi / Gol Papdi”
Traditional gujarati sweet,u made it more healthy, nice recipe 👌👌
Thank you so much!!