Tuvar Na Dana Ringan Nu Shaak / Fresh Pigeon Peas And Eggplant Curry is a traditonal Gujarati curry made using fresh pigeon peas, fresh eggplant and regular Indian spices. It is frequently made during winter when eggplant and pigeon pea are available. It is very quick and easy to make recipe . This vegan dish can be enjoyed with roti, thepla, rotla, bhakri or puri for lunch or dinner. Skip asafoetida to make it gluten free.
For a complete dinner , I had served the tuvar na dana ringan nu shaak with bajri rotla, dry garlic chutney, pickled chili, salad, date and dry fruit roll.
Friends do try this simple and traditional recipe from Gujarat and please do share your feed back with me.
Khao dilse, khilao dilse aur banao dilse….
Tuvar Na Dana Ringan Nu Shaak / Fresh Pigeon Peas And Eggplant Curry
- pressure cooker
- 1 big eggplant
- 200 g pigeon pea tuvar dana / lilva / fresh pigeon peas
- 1 tbsp oil Since I prefer using less oil in regular cooking I have added 1 tbsp oi. But add 2 tbsp for cooking.
- 1/2 tsp mustard seeds
- 1/2 tsp asafoetida hing (skip to make it gluten free)
- 1 tbsp ginger garlic paste
- 1/2 tsp turmeric powder haldi
- 2 tsp red chili powder or as per spice level needed
- 2 tsp coriander cumin powder
- 1 tsp sugar optional
- 1 cup water or as per the consistency needed
- salt to taste
- 2 tbsp coriander washed and finely chopped
- Soak the frozen pigeon peas in water or 10 minutes. In the meanwhile wash and chop the eggplant into big chunks as shown. (Use fresh eggplant. It will be without seed).
- Heat oil in a pressure cooker pan. Add mustard seeds and let they crackle. Add asfoetida. (To make gluten free, skip asafoetida).
- Add ginger garlic paste and saute for half minute on low heat.
- Drain the pigeon peas and add.
- Add spices – turmeric powder, red chili powder, coriander cumin powder.
- Mix well and saute for a minute till all the spices and nicely roasted on low heat.
- Add chopped eggplant.
- Toss well and add sugar and salt.
- Mix well. Add water and mix well. Close the pressure cooker with lid with whistle on and cook for 4 whistles on high heat and 2 on low heat.
- Let the pressure cooker cool by itself. Remove the whistle and open the lid. Add coriander and mix gently.
- If there is more water, then cook on heat for couple of minutes or adjust the consistency as needed by adding or boiling the water. The tuvar na dana ringan nu shaak is ready.
- Remove the tuvar na dana ringan nu shaak in a bowl. Garnish with coriander and serve.
- I had served the tuvar na dana ringan nu shaak / fresh pigeon peas and eggplant curry with bajri rotla (pearl millet flat bread), dry garlic chutney, pickled chili, salad, date and dry fruit roll for a complete dinner.