Vegan Date Phirni is a creamy pudding made by boiling ground rice in almond milk ,dates, sugar and is flavored with cardamom powder. It is a variation to the Indian pudding “Phirni” where ground rice is cooked with milk along with sugar, cardamom and saffron. It is vegan and gluten free too.
To make it sugar free, skip sugar and add additional 4-5 dates or 2 tbsp honey.
Serve your guest with this variation of phirni and I am sure they will enjoy it!!
Vegan Date Phirni
- 1/4 cup basmati rice soaked for 30 minutes
- 3 cup almond milk You can also use coconut milk for coconut flavor
- 6 medjool dates chopped into pieces. You can use any variety of dates available.
- 1 tbsp walnuts chopped (optional)
- 9 tsp sugar i have used raw sugar. If you want to avoid sugar add 4-5 more dates
- 1 tsp cardamom powder
- 3 almonds blanched, skin remomed and sliced thinly
- 3 pistachio blanched, skin removed and sliced thinly
- Drain the soaked rice.
- Grind the soaked and drained rice to a coarse powder in the mixer grinder.
- Grind into a coarse powder.
- Grind the chopped medjool date in the grinder.
- Add chopped walnuts to it.
- Grind the chopped dates and walnuts together into a paste.
- Heat a thick bottom pan or a non stick pan. Add the coarse rice powder and saute for half minute on low heat.
- Add almond milk to it and mix well at medium heat. Stir constantly to avoid sticking at the bottom.
- Add the date and walnut paste and mix well.
- Bring the mixture to boil stirring continously.
- Add cardamom powder and mix well.
- Add sugar and mix well and cook till the mixture thickens on high heat. Stir continously.
- The mixture is thickened and is ready. Remove from heat.
- Pour in the serving bowl. (Traditionally phirni is served in small earthern bowls known as shikoras). I have served in the ramekin bowl.
- Garnish with blanced and sliced almonds, pistachio and cardamom powder. Cool the phirni. Refrigerate for 4-5 hours.
- The vegan date phirni is ready. Serve it chilled.